Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
Who has everyone used to get their power wheelchair? I have heard many say NuMotion but they don't seem to be in network with UHC.

Has anyone used anyone besides them and had good luck? I want someone that can help us get the right chair and also help get features paid for by the insurance.

You really don't have much choice. You need to find out what DME providers are covered by your UHC policy, especially if your policy requires you to go to doctors and other providers in their network. There are not that many providers in most areas and you will want to have one within reasonable driving distance if possible. It is frustrating to have to spend hours on the road just to have an adjustment made to your chair. Some providers are good about sending someone to your house but others have such big areas to cover they can only do that if your chair problem or your condition makes it too hard for you to go to them. As far as a specific company, going through your local MDA/ALS or ALSA clinic will get you set up with a provider they are familiar with. I suspect that it is a matter of how experienced the people at the local shop are. Just as there are big differences in the quality of local ALSA and MDA/ALS Clinics and support groups, there will be differences in local providers in the same company.

I used NuMotion and they were in network for my United Healthcare policy.

Over the holidays I received a notice that my plan is changing from a UHC PPO plan to a UHC POS plan. I called today to confirm NuMotion will be in network under the new plan and that they will pay for a wheelchair every 3 years. UHC said they will be.

This is likely to vary by plan and location. Just because it is covered by my plan for the NuMotion branch in Aurora, Colorado does not mean it will be covered by other plans for other locations.

Steve

Sooner, you can find DME providers for your network on uhc.com. If you tell us the options by branch, we can be more helpful. All branches are not created equal.

I noticed that myuhc.com (United Healthcare's web portal) has been down for the last 3 days (at least for me). I can log in, but it tells me that no information is available and I have to call them (yuck).

Other than the current outage, myuhc.com has been a great resource for me.

Steve

We have Choice Plus. Is that what you were needing? I did find Numotion when I searched in Oklahoma City, OK, not when I searched Tulsa, OK.

I find it difficult to search for things like power wheelchairs on the UHC site. They show medical suppliers but don't tell you who supplies what.

Here is a link to all the ATPs who specialize in seating/mobility (the discipline that evaluates for wheelchairs) in OK. I was not sure how far your range goes, but you can sort on city at the top of the column or narrow the search. You always want an ATP for your eval, though that's not a guarantee of quality.

Find a Certified AT Professional | Rehabilitation Engineering & Assistive Technology Society of North America

Then you can compare w/ the UHC list. The city doesn't matter. UHC doesn't care how far you drive. It looks like you have the choice of Numotion and NSM (the big 2 nationally) as they both have OK City branches. Tulsa shows 2-3 smaller companies.

It would then do no harm to shop the possibilities as you would any other "store." Call or e-mail them and talk. Drive by and chat. See who seems real. Is your call returned promptly? Do they seem more interested in the patient or the insurance plan? You get the idea. You can ask the clinic for their view, but bear in mind that commerce can play a role there.

And don't forget yelp, Google+, and regular Google for finding reviews/reports.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Thanks so much Laurie! Great advice!

When you get ready to order a power wheelchair, does NuMotion usually make a home visit to see what will work best in your home? They are asking for my PALS to come in to the office. Makes me wonder if they just give everyone the same chair?

In ALS, a home eval / demo is invaluable as you have seen here in Carol Sue's case, unless your home is fully level and lavish. Cross that one off or induce them to do a home eval or let you borrow a demo chair of the model they recommend [after you have described your setting/needs!], one or the other. A home eval costs them the gas and more time so of course they would rather not.

Of note, the following home assessment is required by Medicare before or at delivery:

Verify the patient can adequately maneuver the PMD, considering all of the following:
Physical layout
Doorway width
Doorway thresholds
Surfaces

Make the written report of the home assessment available on request

Thanks Laurie! I have asked for a home assessment. If they won't do that, I will ask to borrow a demo.

As of January 1, NuMotion was the only provider in-network with UHC in my area. I was fortunate to receive my chair from Wheelchair Professionals, AKA National Seating and Mobility, before they lost their in-network status at the end of the year. They are the DME provider represented at clinic here in Indiana so I'm glad that I have that connection.

The other issue we had was my UHC policy did not cover PWCs and we had to submit all sorts of documentation to even get prior authorization to order the chair and even that isn't a guarantee that they will cover the claim when it goes through. Make sure that your policy covers PWCs. We're hoping that they provide coverage but are prepared to appeal any denials.

So frustrating Wheatley! Why go they have to make everything so difficult?

It all boils down to money and profits. That is the basis of our health care system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back