Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
California
City
Irvine
My wife underwent a trache yesterday and is on a ventilator. She won't be home for a week. It's very tough and emotional for her. She woke up crying this morning in the hospital. I'm home now to be with our kids. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are with her at the hospital now. I trying to get everything in order before she comes home. Luckily, I work from my home and I will be around to assist with some of her her care during the day, in addition to nights and weekends.

I'm looking for advice on being prepared when we got in public and for car trips in the future. Our kids are starting to have a hard time dealing with her ALS and she worries about the vent freaking them out. I might take the kids tomorrow to see her. Any advice is welcome.

I was pretty emotional my first couple of days on a vent too. That eased quickly when I realized that suctioning was not awful at all. I have no problems being out in public on my vent, and am out and about several days a week. Traveling a distance does require a back up vent and power adapter for the van. The vent has proven to be the least of my problems. Motel rooms, van and wheelchair problems are the same concerns as before the vent! Nothing specific to going out but in my 12 years of being on a vent I have compiled at lot of info. ALS From Both Sides

The best advice for kids is always to have adjusted yourself as best you can before trying to help them -- kind of like "put on your own oxygen mask first" on flights. And the same is true for friends, family, strangers whether you are home or out and about.

Your attitude will inform theirs. They will model you. If you are calm, they have a direction to go. If you are freaking out...

You might have a conversation to this effect with your wife before she sees the kids/ comes home.

Best,
Laurie

What machine will you be using at home?

Hi, Geoff. I remember what that is like, and it's no fun. Here are some of the things I'm glad we did:

(1) I asked some friends to help get the house ready, including completely re-arranging some closets and counter space to store and manage all of the new medical supplies. Note that over time we learned that our inventory needs would be somewhat different from what we first thought they would be, which required some additional reorganization efforts down the road, so be prepared for that.

(2) Be prepared for a rough first couple of months. The surgical wound is still healing. Everyone is getting used to a new routine with new equipment. A lot of trial and error is taking place. Finding out what works and what doesn't work means suffering through all the stuff that doesn't work. For example, they initially had a humidifier on my wife's ventilator, which did nothing helpful and just got the floor wet. We later found that an in-line HME works much, much better for keeping her humidity up, without any wet mess. We went through a number of kinds of suction catheters before settling on the one that works the best. Initially, there was a blood on the trach dressing every time we changed it. Eventually someone suggested applying Lidocaine ointment to the trach site during dressing changes, and there has never been any blood since then. Dialing everything in took a few months, so be prepared for that.

(3) We arranged a visit from another PALS who had been living with a trach and vent for several years. I will never forget the surreal scene of two PALS sitting motionless across from each other while having a very nice conversation on their eye-gaze computers. It was like something from Star Trek. That encounter was uplifting and made the whole thing seem a lot more "normal" to my wife.

(4) Going out in public shouldn't be much different than it already has been, except for the suctioning. This is always loud and can be embarrassing. We manage to find private spaces to do this. At the movies, we sit in the back of the theater and try to wait for the loud parts for suctioning. In the wheelchair van, suctioning is a challenge. You need to be ready to pull over at any time. and have things where you can get to them quickly. I once suctioned my wife's trach while I was at the wheel in the fast lane on the highway, because traffic was at a standstill and I did not have any way to pull over. This isn't something they prepare you for in the hospital.

(5) As for the kids, ours weren't freaked out. They had already seen what ALS was doing to their mom and had seen her go through other surgeries before. If freaked out kids is ever a concern, it's time to call the ALS social worker and get some expert advice.

(6) Even large families often need hired care workers to cover shifts with a vented PALS. After my wife got her trach, we started hiring LVNs instead of unlicensed care workers. If your health plan won't cover the LVN shift care, you don't need to pay contract rates to an agency. We found our LVNs by placing help wanted ads on indeed.com. I don't know what the going wage is in Orange County, but I imagine it isn't much different from San Jose. Here, staffing agencies are paying LVNs as little as $17 per hour (but I don't think we could hold on to employees at those rates, so we pay more than that). Note: Consumer Watchdog is currently working on the problem of inadequate home nursing coverage for ALS patients in California, so if your wife needs care workers, you should consider calling Consumer Watchdog and sharing your story.

Pamela Pressley
Consumer Watchdog
Consumer Watchdog | Home
2701 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 112
Santa Monica, CA 90405
310-392-0522, ext. 307
310-392-8874 fax
[email protected]

Best of luck to you!

My sister-in-law had her iPhone at the hospital and she and my wife did Facetime with the kids. It was something that didn't think so I'm glad my sister-in-law thought of it. Our youngest child who is 6 was scared and cried afterwards. I calmed her down and explained that the machine was helping her mom breathe and stay well. Our ten year old twin boys were ok seeing my wife.

Tomorrow they are going for a visit and I'll be staying the night with my wife in the hospital. I want us to have a positive New Year's Eve and letting her know that we need to hope for the best in the new year. I bought Gleason from Amazon and downloaded to my iPad. We will be watching that together

I was pretty emotional my first couple of days on a vent too. That eased quickly when I realized that suctioning was not awful at all. I have no problems being out in public on my vent, and am out and about several days a week. Traveling a distance does require a back up vent and power adapter for the van. The vent has proven to be the least of my problems. Motel rooms, van and wheelchair problems are the same concerns as before the vent! Nothing specific to going out but in my 12 years of being on a vent I have compiled at lot of info. ALS From Both Sides

Thank you for the link. I'm hoping things ease over the next few days. I know tomorrow will be emotional with her seeing the kids.

As for trips, we are planning to go to her niece's high school graduation in May. Before that I'll have to make sure we have everything ready.

Thank you for the link Diane. Tomorrow will probably tough for her emotionally when she sees the kids. She has said before that she is grieving the loss of normalcy in our lives and kids' lives.

Hi, Geoff. I remember what that is like, and it's no fun. Here are some of the things I'm glad we did:

(1) I asked some friends to help get the house ready, including completely re-arranging some closets and counter space to store and manage all of the new medical supplies. Note that over time we learned that our inventory needs would be somewhat different from what we first thought they would be, which required some additional reorganization efforts down the road, so be prepared for that.

(2) Be prepared for a rough first couple of months. The surgical wound is still healing. Everyone is getting used to a new routine with new equipment. A lot of trial and error is taking place. Finding out what works and what doesn't work means suffering through all the stuff that doesn't work. For example, they initially had a humidifier on my wife's ventilator, which did nothing helpful and just got the floor wet. We later found that an in-line HME works much, much better for keeping her humidity up, without any wet mess. We went through a number of kinds of suction catheters before settling on the one that works the best. Initially, there was a blood on the trach dressing every time we changed it. Eventually someone suggested applying Lidocaine ointment to the trach site during dressing changes, and there has never been any blood since then. Dialing everything in took a few months, so be prepared for that.

(3) We arranged a visit from another PALS who had been living with a trach and vent for several years. I will never forget the surreal scene of two PALS sitting motionless across from each other while having a very nice conversation on their eye-gaze computers. It was like something from Star Trek. That encounter was uplifting and made the whole thing seem a lot more "normal" to my wife.

(4) Going out in public shouldn't be much different than it already has been, except for the suctioning. This is always loud and can be embarrassing. We manage to find private spaces to do this. At the movies, we sit in the back of the theater and try to wait for the loud parts for suctioning. In the wheelchair van, suctioning is a challenge. You need to be ready to pull over at any time. and have things where you can get to them quickly. I once suctioned my wife's trach while I was at the wheel in the fast lane on the highway, because traffic was at a standstill and I did not have any way to pull over. This isn't something they prepare you for in the hospital.

(5) As for the kids, ours weren't freaked out. They had already seen what ALS was doing to their mom and had seen her go through other surgeries before. If freaked out kids is ever a concern, it's time to call the ALS social worker and get some expert advice.

(6) Even large families often need hired care workers to cover shifts with a vented PALS. After my wife got her trach, we started hiring LVNs instead of unlicensed care workers. If your health plan won't cover the LVN shift care, you don't need to pay contract rates to an agency. We found our LVNs by placing help wanted ads on indeed.com. I don't know what the going wage is in Orange County, but I imagine it isn't much different from San Jose. Here, staffing agencies are paying LVNs as little as $17 per hour (but I don't think we could hold on to employees at those rates, so we pay more than that). Note: Consumer Watchdog is currently working on the problem of inadequate home nursing coverage for ALS patients in California, so if your wife needs care workers, you should consider calling Consumer Watchdog and sharing your story.

Pamela Pressley
Consumer Watchdog
Consumer Watchdog | Home
2701 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 112
Santa Monica, CA 90405
310-392-0522, ext. 307
310-392-8874 fax
[email protected]

Best of luck to you!

She's met with PALS on vents before. I did some emailing and one PAL who she before will be visiting at the hospital on Monday or Tuesday. I'll keep in my mind about lidocaine. I say some blood on the area this morning when the nurses were checking on her.

Thank you for the tips on suctioning and being in public. I admit I'm kind of worried about going to the movies in the future. We'll figure something out. We will probably won't dive into doing public things right away. I know she will need time here at home really adjust before we go out more in public.

Geoff and all,
Please don't quote large sections of posts. Many of our members have difficulty reading/scrolling.

Thanks!
--Laurie

Geoff, for going to the movies, we found a 2-story Cineplex with several large theaters that have entrances at the back/top that are reached by elevator. The handicap seating up there is far better than the mid-level aisle seating found in many other theaters. Sitting at the rear/top level makes auctioning easy because you're not doing it in front of others. Hopefully OC has some theaters like the ones we found.

She's did well yesterday and today. I did some care lessons with the respiratory therapist this afternoon. Our twin boys play in a winter youth basketball league. My wife said she wants to attend one of their games in a few weeks. That will likely be our first outing with the vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back