Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Alexandria
Does anyone who sits all day plagued with chafing of the buttocks? I am chafed at the bottom of my back where the cheeks meet. It is a sore, scaly patch. First tried using moisturizer on it and then switched to diaper rash lotion. Surprisingly, the diaper rash lotion makes it more difficult to get in a comfortable position without it hurting. What are others using who have this condition? Appreciate any thoughts.

Bill

This is primarily caused by the pressure of sitting in one position too long. You need to get onto this straight away or it can go from what is now a pressure area, to a pressure sore, to a pressure ulcer.

The first important thing is that you must not sit in one position with pressure on this area all the time, certainly not for more than an hour or two. Gentle massage of the area every couple of hours will keep stimulating the circulation and I would recommend this until that scaly area resolves.

Repositioning often is very important - use the tilt function on your PWC to change where the most pressure is, move from the PWC to a recliner when possible and when in a recliner or in bed try to be at least slightly on one side or the other to keep the pressure off that area.

You can try a barrier cream of some kind, but it's treating the pressure that is going to be the most important, it's not so much a top of the skin issue, as a circulation under the skin issue.

It can be heat/moisture or it can be more pressure-related. Might try wound honey either way after blotting any excess moisture. The barrier cream is more drying so that can accentuate the chafing and pain. Certainly, repositioning and massage can't hurt. I know you're not in a wheelchair, but what kind of cushion are you on? You can put a layer of something like Action Products gel or a thin Stimulite cushion in any kind of chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back