Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
Arizona
City
Mesa
My mom has been having trouble with her saliva this past week. We have manage thanks to all the info here. In the last two days though she has developed a cough though. She doesn't have enough strength to have a productive cough. We r giving her ginger tea, amd her boost is at its Max in the humidity setting. What else can be done and when is it time to take her to see a doc. We r concerned about her lungs because she is making a weird sound when she finally is able to fall asleep.

The person I would call with medical questions is out for the next 2 weeks and I'm getting nothing at the front office. What can and should we do???

Do you have a cough assist? Are you afflitiated with an ALS clinic? My PALS has a cough assist and there are two meds that we use to help dry up secretions that help. The ALS clinic, not our PCP, was most helpful with regard to the meds that help with secretions. It is excessive secretions/saliva and the inability to independently clear those that seem to result in chesty/throaty cough symptoms.
Tracy

I use a form of 'breath stacking' that fully inflates my lungs, allowing me one good 'normal' cough.

I inhale fully, release, inhale fully again, amd the I use a sort of 'swallow' but I'm forcing the air into my lungs, not stomach.

It takes 20 or so 'gulps' before they're fully inflated, depending on the amount of air in each gulp.

She is out of state and didn't take hers.(long story) But we are in the process of getting/renting one. We have been able to help with the "extra" saliva and phlegm but her cough sounds pretty dry. We're trying to get her to use her bipap more as I read in another thread the co2 accumulation can cause a smokers cough like thing.

She is affiliated with an ALS clinic but the coordinator is out till Jan 3rd and no one else is answering...hoping they're out to lunch. Calling back in a few.

We are hoping to get a hold of the neurologist she has seen where she is right now, but n the mean time, we are taking her to a general Dr. If she is prescribed a cough med, can that be counter productive? I'm hoping the Dr will know but I also don't know if she/he will be knowledgeable enough about ALS.

-Erika

Thanks Greek! I will have her try that.

Is she taking neudexta? If so then you need to be careful what type of cough medicine you use.

Is she taking neudexta? If so then you need to be careful what type of cough medicine you use.

No she isn't. But thanks for letting me know! It is a medication we have talked about and will make a mental note about it.

-Erika

Good morning. My mom was seen by a general doctor yesterday afternoon and was prescribed Ambroxol + salboturol and Lenodropropizina (Or at least that what I can make out by his writting) to help break down phlegm and help with cough. Her lungs sounded clear but there is some chest congestion. He told my sister to massage her back and do tapping motions to help her out. She has no fever.

Last night was a rough one again. Don't know if it's the phlegm trying to come up or what, but her cough was bad. She is using the vital but only for a little, she says her throat is hurts and with her coughing the bipap seems to "loose" it rhythm. She is so tired and weak. Transferring is getting harder.

She also says the middle of her back hurts. Can it be just from her being in a sitting position for a while or could it be her lungs? My dad and sister changes the incline on her bed and recliner couch but it only helps for a while.

I read some use a neubolizer, but what do you put in it? We don't know how else to help her and we are worried for her lungs. We are still looking for a cough assistant as it turns out you can't rent one over thee, you must buy it. The compression vest is about $200/mo. Is it worth it? Can she benefit from it given her weakened state?

As always any advise is so appreciated!!
-Erika

I concur the ALS clinic is the best place to seek help for an assessment and ideas. Respiratory changes are hard to assess and deal with, and some treatments can backfire. I eventually collected the email addresses and cell phone numbers of two ALS-literate RTs so I can text them during non-business hours. ALS doesn't keep the same working hours as our health care providers.

What form is she getting these medicines in? The second I believe is what is known as albuterol in the US commonly used for bronchospasm in asthma but also short term for bronchitis and such. It comes in an inhaler, in a solution for a nebulizer and also there is or used to be a pill form.

Her back could be muscular from coughing but it is impossible to know for sure.

Colds and coughs are a really big deal for PALS and the more respiratory compromised the more dangerous. I am sorry to scare you but a cold killed my sister.

Are you there? Or is someone reliable there to evaluate her? I would err on the side of caution and if she is not doing well go to a hospital. I know she is far from one and it is difficult but if she can't handle her congestion she needs to be assessed again

What form is she getting these medicines in? The second I believe is what is known as albuterol in the US commonly used for bronchospasm in asthma but also short term for bronchitis and such. It comes in an inhaler, in a solution for a nebulizer and also there is or used to be a pill form.

Are you there? Or is someone reliable there to evaluate her? I would err on the side of caution and if she is not doing well go to a hospital. I know she is far from one and it is difficult but if she can't handle her congestion she needs to be assessed again

Thank u Nikki,

She got a nebuliser and should have the albuterol solution soon. She was given the liquid form of the meds. It is a huge deal, thank you for your words of caution.

I'm not there, and it sucks so bad!! But my sister dad and brother are. Also a cousin there is a nurse and although she is not super familiar with the details of ALS she has been a great help and should my mom need extra medical help she might be able to pull some strings during the holidays. We are also considering flying her back as soon as we know it is safe to do so. So I'm trying to stay a half step ahead of this and be ready here with what she might need. Just hope we can find airline tickets...

Thank you!!!!
-Erika

I take Nuedexta, but didn't realize I had to be careful with cough medicines. If needed, which ones should I take or not take?

Bill

Bill one of the components of Nuedexta is dextromethorphan. This is in many otc cough syrups and also some cold pills. Before taking anything check the label so you do not overdose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back