Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Well it happened again, almost one year exactly to the date of my last awful fall. This time it's my husband who took the brunt of it, my greatest fear. his back. Feeling so guilty. Don't know how we could've avoided it.

Hate this effing disease.

Stay safe out there my friends.

Do not fall!

azgirl how are you feeling, hope you are all right.
Al

Thanks al. I am a little bruised up, but fine. My husband sacrificed himself trying to stop the fall which I'm feeling horrible about. Wish he had just let me go.

I am so sorry. Hope you are ok and DH feels better fast. Don't blame yourself. Blame ALS!

When the shock wears off you can probably figure out how to prevent a recurrence

Don't do that!

Max would be angry. 8^}

I'm so sorry Kay :(

As Nikki says, when you are both a bit recovered try to look at what happened so you can prevent it happening again. They can be prevented with different processes or equipment. This doesn't mean guilt is applicable - it is definitely the damned disease taking it's toll on both you and your family.

Gentle hugs to you both, heal swiftly xxxx

Wishing you both a speedy recovery.

Re: Falls dam Fall

Yes, I did think of Max this morning, and hope that others will read this and do their best to avoid further falls.

I have never been one too proud to risk falling by attempting risky Moves. However, what has happened slowly is the standing pivot transfer has gotten more difficult. My experienced caregiver can still do this move fairly easily, but my poor husband is wearing out. We now know that we will do slinglift transfers when it is just the two of us.

The same thing happened to us a year ago, when we were right at the point we needed to change our strategy for transfers. It is so hard to know when it is the last time a certain move should be attempted.

The hardest thing for me so far has been seeing Rob on his knees and pain on the floor.

How about in honor of Max, no more falls this week!

So true Kay - how do you know when it's the last time you can do something ... so much easier in hindsight to say 'just before you have a fall' ...

Max would be completely honoured if we had a xmas week totally free of falls, in fact let's take it through to the new year eh!

Sorry Kay! My husband gave up walking today after several falls this last week. Won't hijack your thread but I hate this effing disease also

Oh I know the " I thought I could do this" fall. I think that it is like fool me once .. fool me twice. The first time is without warning and you are 100 percent blameless- if it happens again because you do not take steps to avoid it then you start to own some responsibility. Good for you for immediate planning!

kay,
I'm sorry to hear about your fall and the pain you two are suffering because of it.
i hope you both heal quickly and don't have anymore falls.

prayers for you both,
mark

Kay, I am so sorry to hear about your fall and so hope neither you or your husband have been hurt. I don't know if it's too soon to mention a solution that worked for us when my husband started having falls during the pivot transfer but I just want to help if I can. My husband was stubbornly resistant to using a hoyer and sling so I found a transfer belt that gave him a number of additional months of stand and pivot. It's called Grip-n-Assist, we purchased the blue one for around $100. The handles on it really enable the caregiver to hold on and help vs the canvas " gait belt"that we had been given by the PT. I wish I had found it even sooner as I think it would have helped prevent other types of falls he had. I know how hard this is both physically and emotionally.

Sorry for your fall, Kay, but thanks for the reminder for us to be more careful.

Oh Kay....I'm so sorry. My last fall set me back more than a whole year without falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back