Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Yesterday I met a woman newly diagnosed with ALS. That makes 4 of us who lived in the same community of 150 homes. We all lived there from 1985 to 1995, some longer. The two men died two years ago. I'm suspicious of the well water or other environmental factor. But like anything else surrounding this disease, who knows?

What do you all think?

Who knows? 150 homes with multiple residents probably and some turnover? Still seems higher than expected though. Well water is a question asked in one of my FALS studies along with a thousand other things. What was there before the houses?

I grew up in a cluster area. Champlain Valley in the Adirondack mountains. It is composed of villages and towns surrounding Lake Champlain (which borders upstate NY and Vermont.) Very sparse population. Speculation on algae in the lake, pollution from the paper mill and ore mines. Around 400 people have been diagnosed from up there.

I was also involved in a suspect cluster on the college campus where I worked for 26 years. Out of 350 full-time faculty, 4 have been diagnosed with ALS (the other three passed on). The diagnoses were all after 2001. There were others in the same buildings who were diagnosed with cancer and other diseases....much higher than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back