Diagnosis
05/2007
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
uniontown
My father in law was diagnosed with ALS in May of this year. He has had back pain for 2 years now and went through probably every test you could think of and nothing helped. Fianlly the doctor said it may be ALS. He went for a 2nd opinion and they verified it and then a 3rd opinion (because my mother in law was in major denial) and they also confirmed it. I have never known anyone with this so each day is a new discovery for us. At Thanksgiving of 2006 he walked but hunched over. At Christmas of 2006 he could only take a few steps without having to stop to take a break and now his legs are pretty much gone. His right side was affected first but last night my wife told me that he is having problems eating now because he's having trouble raising his hand to his mouth. It seems like every day it's bad news. Not sure what is to come next week but things are going downhill fast. It's hard for us (and our kids - age 10 and 12) to see a man who did everthing that can now do nothing except sit in one spot until we move him. We built a deck with a ramp so he can at least get outside (which he sits out there all day - he loves the outdoors). He looks forward to getting outside every day but when winter sets in Ohio who knows how long it will last. If getting him outside is the only thing he can look forward to I don't know what we'll do for him in the winter. He is a HUGE Cleveland Indians fan so we're praying that they win it all this year for Grandpa bud! I know you all are going through this but it's nice to talk about this to soemone else other than my wife because I need to keep my guard up around here because she's not doing good with this at all! - If she know's I'm not strong she may lose it.
Thank you for listening!

Hi staten. I too will be sitting through (literally) another Canadian winter. Has he got any bird feeders? I find watching the birds therapeutic.
AL.

Hey Staten,

Sorry about your FIL. Nice of you to care enough to seek information out for your family. Hope you and your wife and kids find the strength to deal with whatever is thrown at you. Don't really have any suggestions for winter. It just gets cold where we're at and rains or stays depressingly cloudy! bird feeder idea sounds great. Also, a hummingbird feeder in the spring would be wonderful, as they are amazing to watch. Can you install a little fountain? The sound is very soothing.

Hang in there! Your love for you family will get you through this...

Hi Staten and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your FIL. It is tough all around and one of the worst things to watch. I am hoping you get a lot of good ideas from the PALS (People living with ALS) and CALS (Caregivers for those with ALS) on this forum. The boredom must be hard to deal with. Keep in touch and ask about anything that comes up. Cordially, Cindy

Thank you

Thank you to all who have replied to my original post. The bird feeder is a great idea! - He has one out back but he sits in the front now on his new deck. There are several trees in his front yard so a bird feeder would fit in perfect! I am going to buy one today and take it over when I visit him tonight. I certainly feel for everyone on this site because of what they are dealing with. I always thought ALS was just a disease that Lou Gehrig had and I knew nothing about it. Now I know it's much more than that and I truly realize the value of everything that my father in law can no longer do. Keep us in your prayers as I will pray for members on this site as well.
Miracles have and can happen so maybe someone will find that special pill that will cure this unfair disease!
Thanks for listening!

Thanks

I thought I replied earlier but maybe hit the wrong button or something because it didn't show up.
Anyways, Thank you to all who have replied! - Bird feeder - Great idea! I am going to buy one today and take it over to him tonight. Was planning on visiting anyways but got a call from my wife and said he fell this morning and had to call his brother to help him get up. - He is very humiliated by this but needs the help. Please keep us in your prayers and I'll be sure to keep all of you in mine!
Miracles do and can happen so maybe somebody will come out with a special pill that will cure this unfair disease!
Thanks again!

Staten

Keeping it together

Staten-

Wife is a very lucky lady! My dad was diagnosed about a year ago, after a year of tests, and it's been a hard road for us, too. I think that it is wonderful that you are reaching out to learn more about the disease and trying to stay strong for your family. I, too, need my husband to be the rock when I cannot.. I can only imagine that he is just as frustrated as you are to see me weak and sad... let alone helping with dad, too. He has already told me that dad can come live with us and he will help take care of him.. but he already lost both of his parents so this is like the third time around for him.. again, I can only imagine that he, like you, needs a shoulder. It takes a strong man to reach out.. WAY TO GO! BTW.. I never thought of a bird feeder, either.. good thing Al reads all our posts.. he's full of lost of great ideas! LOL Keep your chin up.. enjoy everyday that you have with Grandpa Bud and I'll be cheering for those Indians! :-D

Hi Staten,

My father-in-law was also recently diagnosed with ALS, although his is bulbar onset. We also have young children (6 & 10), but even though he has always lived with us, they still don't see much of his illness as the only obvious problem is his hoarse voice and feeding tube. Does your wife have any brothers or sisters? For my husband, that seems to be the worst part because he is an only child and his parents divorced years ago. I keep thinking of the old Charlie Chaplin song -- Smile, though your heart is aching, Smile, even though it’s breaking. Because we have to go on even though it's hard, you know? Anyway, the people on here have been very helpful and understanding in my short time of being here so far. Welcome :)

Marisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back