01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
Hello friends,

I just received my Permobil F3 a few weeks ago. So the search has begun for a wheelchair van...Wow, are they expensive or what?? I just can't justify the 50 to 60K for a new one and began looking at used. Same thing, very expensive if you want something 3 or 4 years old.

My question...Has anyone bought ramps and some sort of docking system and used a regular mini van??? My husband called the dealer and one of the vans side opening was 38 wide and 48 tall. Seems like I would fit...my chair is 24 inches wide and 48 inches tall. With me in the chair the height needed would be about an inch taller than that. What am I missing here? is it doable??

Thank you for any and all advice you can give me! :confused:

CarolSue

Last edited:
I would be concerned about the steepness of a ramp into a standard minivan

CarolSue, we bought a used mini van that was converted. The Toyota Sienna. We don't have any issues with Steve getting in and out. We actually bought the van from a former CALS. I did a lot of researching on the web and found quite a few sites that were selling used Vans.
I even found a few places that were in Kansas.

If you need help with finding the sites just PM me. If not, good luck with your search. Like you, we just couldn't see buying a new one.

"Fit" is so important. Krissy drove her PWC in and out of several models and discovered that the mechanics doing the modification are not all created equal. On one van, her head was way too close to the entrance. She would have driven her scalp into it at full speed if she were sitting up high. On another van, it seemed good, except that in the locked position, her left leg would have been up against the engine wall during long trips.

Test 'em well. Remember that, after you get used to driving your PWC, you'll naturally speed up. You'll be taking that ramp and spinning around very quickly, so you want to have a few inches of space instead of bouncing off the upholstery.

Hi CarolSue. I just received a PWC from the ALSA loan closet until mine gets here towards the end of the month. We also picked out a van yesterday but it won't be ready until about the same time. We have a 6 foot portable ramp that we are using to load the loaner into our current van which works for us. I am still able to get around using my rollator so we just unload the chair and go. I'm 6'1" so there's no way I could ride in the chair and the only way this works is that I'm still able to transfer from seat to rollator to PWC. Not the best scenario but works for us until our van is ready.

If you are is still working you might check with your state to see if they have a vocational rehab assistance program. Indiana has a program to help people keep working if they are willing and able to. A part of that is paying for the conversion on a van which is the biggest expense. We were able to purchase a certified pre-owned van and the state is covering the conversion. I guess it's pretty important for the state to keep my payroll taxes coming in. We would be in the same position as you are if this weren't available to us.

Another concern of a non-converted van would be the inability to lock down the PWC.

Here are some thoughts from my experience.

When we first started out, I bought some 8-foot long suitcase ramps that fold down to 4 feet long. I used these to load the wheelchair into the back of an SUV. To do so, the wheelchair back had to be almost completely reclined. This worked, but was so impractical that I only did it twice; once to test load the chair and once to transport the chair to try it out on a used van that we bought.

The instructions for the ramps included a dire warning that I could not ride in the wheelchair while it was on the ramp.

I have kept the ramps as an emergency backup in case our wheelchair van is out of service and I just have to get the wheelchair somewhere. In the beginning, I could have stood beside the ramps and used the joystick to drive the wheelchair up the ramps. I can no longer do that, so it would require someone else to do it.

I still don't need to ride in the wheelchair. I can comfortably transfer to the front seat of our wheelchair van. We purchased a van that would allow us to transport the wheelchair, but in which it would be impractical for me to ride in the wheelchair.

We have a full-sized Chevy Express 1500 conversion van (with a raised roof) with a Braun Vangater II wheelchair lift and EZLock to lock the wheelchair in place in the mid section of the van. There is a shoulder harness there, but when it comes time for me to ride in the wheelchair we will replace the van with something I can see out of as we drive.

If you get a minivan, be aware of the cargo and passenger carrying limitations (both weight and volume). Also be aware of their low ground clearance (low enough to be a problem with speed bumps).

Here are some recommendations:

1. Get something where you can ride the wheelchair into the van
2. Get something where the wheelchair rides in the van (not on a platform attached to the back of the vehicle). Wheelchairs are very sensitive to weather.
3. If you get something where you cannot ride in the wheelchair, recognize it is a temporary solution. You will eventually need to ride in the wheelchair (either in your van or be relegated to using public transportation).
4. Get something practical to use. If it is hard at all, you will find excuses not to use it.
5. Be sure you can safely lock the wheelchair in place. I am a fan of systems like the EZLock. While I have used straps, we find them cumbersome.
6. Unless you have the finances or aid to support paying the high prices of new, buy used.

We bought used and I found that good vans went very quickly. I looked on craigslist, autotrader, etc. I found our van on craigslist. We paid cash and had the money ready to go so we could beat other buyers to the deal.

If you buy from a private party, keep in mind they are selling it for a reason. I had not anticipated this (though, I should have). They had recently lost their disabled son.

I had never envisioned owning a van. Now that we have ours, it has really grown on me. We have plenty of space to haul stuff. We have spent a lot of time thinking about what our next vehicle will be. We initially were sure it would be a converted pickup.

After lots of investigation, we are now pretty sure it will be a Mercedes Sprinter or Ford Transit van with a wheelchair lift and the passenger side seat removed. That would give us plenty of volume and weight capacity for hauling people and cargo. I could sit in my wheelchair in the front passenger location and see out of the van. There would be minimal modifications to the van (install a lift, remove the front passenger seat, and install an EZlock). The fewer modifications, the less to go wrong.

Steve

Thank you all for all the great advice. As far as angle of the ramp, it would be a 6 ft so that would reduce a steep grade. My husband would find a way to lock it down...he's the guy you see going down the road with a piece of furniture in his truck and has 30 ratchet straps on it. Lol...not really but I have teased him over the years about being so anal with his tie downs.

I'm thinking maybe this will get us by for a while...still using the rollater and leg braces. Lately I feel like I'm risking life and limb walking any distance. But feel like I will be able to do transfers for a while. Also thought about the Joey lift for inside transportation and possibly converting the van later with a rear entry ramp. Those seem to be cheaper than the side entry.

Does anyone know how new the van has to be for converting. I read somewhere they won't do it unless its less than 3 years old and less than 30,000 miles. Is this true? Thanks for all your help. I also have questions about my Permobil but will start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back