Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NC
City
Winston-Salem
My brother-in-law sent me MOLST and DNR forms to review for my sister before we sign them, and I wonder if anyone has any insights or experience that would be helpful as we go through this process. My sister has ALS and FTD and is in Hospice care, so she is not capable of doing this for herself. I've filled out these forms as healthcare proxy for my mother, who had Alzheimer's disease, but are there any special considerations I should be aware of in making these decisions for someone with ALS? I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks--

Not familiar with the NC forms, but generally you will want to cover the different levels of respiratory support (BiPAP, invasive ventilation) short and long-term, IV nutrition/hydration as well. You might look at the 5 wishes site.

Other questions to consider since she has cognitive impairment is what triggers a complete switch to comfort care or life-minimizing care, e.g. no antibiotics, no respiratory or nutritional support that prolongs life. This has tripped up some of our members in the past. So it is not just what she wants or would want, but who implements that and when/how. The bits that a document may not call for can become sticking points, so to the extent you and s/he can agree to these provisions, that may reassure and guide you later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back