Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
IL
State
AA
City
hadarom, israel
anyone here have the neurologists tell them that extreme stress in their life may have caused or triggered their ALS? I would like to know the name of any neurologists who have said that. Someone "on this forum" wrote that some time ago, but I cannot find the post.
Kind regards to all,
Betsy

I haven't heard anyone say that Betsy, however my husband seems to think his was brought on by extreme stress. He pushed himself very hard with work, we had just got engaged, bought a house & started renovations plus trying to save for a wedding... Who knows if it was related...

A long while back, that same question was asked of our members. A few said they had great stress prior to symptoms and a few more said they didn't.

It seems that there is no reason to think stress contributes in any way to ALS.

I had a lot of extreme stress (at work and at home) for two or three years prior to dx.

Yup.....I think it is stress related, and how people deal with it. My life has been a TRAIN WRECK. Working 60-70 hours a week and burning the candle at both ends. Sacrificing life for the almighty dollar and self medicating to forget the pain of sacrifice and disrupt priorities. I wish I could to all over again, even if I ended up with less money and success.

It's possible that episodes of stress hasten the onset of ALS.
Perhaps some are genetically destined to get ALS at age nn but the impact of stress caused it to hit years sooner.

Yup.....I think it is stress related, and how people deal with it. My life has been a TRAIN WRECK. Working 60-70 hours a week and burning the candle at both ends. Sacrificing life for the almighty dollar and self medicating to forget the pain of sacrifice and disrupt priorities. I wish I could to all over again, even if I ended up with less money and success.

Sounds like my husband. He was working crazy hours for many years to save money - then we bought our house and he was burdened with a large mortgage PLUS having just proposed, feeling like he needed to provide and protect me. His onset happened just as we started renovating our house.

Steve is and has always been very low keyed and has never stressed out. That was always left to me. lol

My mother in law passed away several months before the onset of my husbands symptoms. He is FALS but perhaps there is merit to the idea that it hastens onset

It's possible that episodes of stress hasten the onset of ALS.
Perhaps some are genetically destined to get ALS at age nn but the impact of stress caused it to hit years sooner.

This is exactly what I think happened to me. Summer of 2013 I was working long hours in the hundred plus degree temperatures, which I think triggered the ALS.
I believe that would've happened anyway, but thanks for the additional physical stress brought it on sooner

Hello Kate,
Can you tell me if your husband had any type of anesthesia prior to his diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back