Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Alexandria
These last few days have been miserable. I was constipated and didn't have the strength to push the turtles out. Turtles are those hard stools that seem to poke their head out , stay there a while, and then go back in. I was in misery. Had to resort to a Dulcolax suppository last night. After an hour the dam was broken and I felt relief. It appears the problem was generated by hospice telling me to take 2 Glycopyrrolate 4 times a day for excess salivation. They didn't tell me one of the side effects is constipation. So then they prescribed Senna-S in the morning and night. By then it was too late to work on the turtles. Finally called a hospice nurse friend of ours in Vermont and she recommended Dulcolax. What a blessing! Moral of the story: If you take medication for excess salivation, accompany it with some type of stool softener.

Bill

Here is what has helped my situation with difficult bm and lack of abdominal muscle. They strap a gait belt firmly about belly button height. Then I lean forward and push against the belt . Add breathing like you are delivering 9 lb baby. Works great at my house! For added fun name resulting success.

A quick clarification. Dulcolax is the stool softener docusate sodium combined with the stimulant laxative bisacodyl. Docusate sodium is just the stool softener and is best taken daily as a preventative and the dose adjusted so it doesn't force an inconveniently timed bowel movement as does the Dulcolax. It is good laxative when you are backed up, but best saved for those miserable occasions

Constipation has been my companion since starting Remeron more than 10 years ago. Extra magnesium usually helps but too much can cause diarrhea. I've tried EVERYTHING until my gastro convinced me to try something simple and it works. Pure psyllium. No additives. This can only be used if you can swallow. I take two or three teaspoons and stir it up in 8 ounces of water and drink it fast because it thickens quickly. Then I chase it down with another 8 ounces of water to make sure it clears my esophogus. I still take 1,200 mg of magnesium (in various forms) during the day and eat a high fiber and high water diet.

Once we're on the feeding tube it becomes more difficult and psyllium is off the table. But if you can still eat you won't need much push to get your poop out. The more water, the better. Psyllium draws in water to function like a stool softener and a laxative. I wish I had known this because I used to have to do a fleet enema several times a week for 10 years.

IMO benefited and miralax are pretty worthless compared to pure psyllium but they don't thicken so they might be of some use. Neither are stimulants. Plain coffee can have a stimulant effect, too. I just can't do the stimulants because of a heart arrhythmia.

I'm sorry. I understand how terrible this can be.

Turtles!! What a great description. I'm using the forum as I'm waiting for my pals to complete his toileting at this very moment. I passed on your description Bill,and it made my Pals laugh. Guess what.....we are in action! Thanks for that.
Interesting advice.

For people who can still swallow, or with peg, I recommend taking 1/2 glass of water first thing every morning, with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and one quarter lemon. Warm water is best. This concoction causes the secretion of bile from the gallbladder, which lubricates the entire intestine. It also gets rid of toxins from the liver.

Attachments

• turd.jpg
    turd.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 338
Just be careful how much magnesium and psyllium you take. I took an extra pain pill yesterday and wanted to make sure I didn't get constipated and I got up twice last night to do my business. Then again this morning.

For what it's worth I that an item called "calm". it contains magnesium and and controls leg cramps at night. It can be bought at most drug stores and health food stores and is mixed with water and can be swallowed ( it tastes all right ) or I take with a syringe and feed tube.
Al

I a following this thread witha great deal of interest as it's been 5 days now for me. (insert sad trombone sound here)

SwiftKicker, 5 days is too long. I think it's time for a suppository. Then again, I panic on day 2. Hope you get some relief soon.

Bill

Mark, it was so obvious! Hahaha

Don't forget the power of hot coffee, salsa, hot sauce...almost anything can be blended for the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back