Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Newmarket
My daughter is employed as a caregiver for someone with ALS.
The patient is advanced and has no motor capability and communicates by speaking/lip reading.

Winter time is typical for depression to set in with this patient, which in turn leaves my daughter feeling frustrated.
Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas of new things to do which will distract both the depressed patient, as well as the depressed/frustrated caregiver?
They do a lot of tv/movie watching and play a few card/board games.

One of the wonderful things about where you are living is the GO train is fully wheelchair accessible. This opens up huge possibilities for places to go. Get off at union station, there are numerous theaters within a short distance. There is the new aquarium, the ROM, THe planetarium. Just wandering the PATH from Union to the Eaton centre. My All time favorite place in the winter is the Metro ZOO. Expensive,yes, but for several hours in the Africa pavilion you are in a hot jungle atmosphere with birds flying all around, the flowers are in full bloom. It is like a 3 hour trip down south.
Vincent

If you have mobility capability, then just being outside for a walk, the zoo, really anything that is a change. If indoor activities are the only options, a tv series or 2 from netflix or amazon might be the ticket. Audiobooks is also an option.

Do you give him/her regular foot massages and hand massages. Maybe have him listen to some nice music and massage his/her feet and hands with coconut oil.

Can your daughter arrange to have some visitors?

Downtown Toronto is not an option.
Trouble is how it gets so dark so soon - makes for long afternoons/evenings.
Massages and TV are already being done.

Any creative "in house" ideas?

Has your daughter tried asking the patient? Does the patient have relatives? What were the patient's interest and hobbies before ALS? If we had more info on the patient, maybe we could make recommendations.

I have a happy light that I use in the winter. The brand is verilux. It actually works quite well. I also find Christmas music cheers me up.

My caregiver is helping me make a photo book online for xmas gifts. I enjoy looking thru photos and watching her put it together. She also bKes for me i enjoy watching that too.

Vincent, Wow, hadn't considered the Zoo for a 3 hour Warm experience. Great idea, Vincent, thank you!! PS. I have now 'retired' and my LTD will start in January. I think of you often, as you mentioned you worked longer than perhaps wanted to, in one of my posts. I too kept going and then up and left - it was not difficult, though my days are filled with too much time now! Anyway, you inspired me and I thank you for that! Hope all is as well as can be with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back