Steve's fall and what we are thankful for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaredwifetx

Very helpful member
Forum Supporter
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
07/2015
Country
US
State
tx
City
Dallas
I was giving Steve a shower yesterday. We going to make it special with a good head wash, full body scrub, haircut and face shave.

I washed his hair and scrubbed him down. He was not ready for me to take over the washing of his butt and knockers so he stood up to wash them and his right leg went out from under him and down he went.

Sitting butt naked on the floor. I couldnt get him up so Mike had to help. I was so upset that this happened the first time i helped him and he looked so broken on the floor. He took it like a champ. We joked because the shower seat does open to the bottom. I just had to show him what I could do.

We got him shaved, haircut and he looked so nice when his daughter, two grandsons, my grandchildren and son ib law showed up last night. Sore leg and a couole of bruises but he is acting like nothing happened.

I am so thankful for today. His family is here, the house is decorated, we are cooking a big meal and he is loving this day. The problems in our life can go in a box for the day.

Glad you recovered well. WE had a first of our own here this week - Brian used the cane for a longer walk. I was grabbed by it at first but now just glad to have him here. Take care and keep on enjoying your weekend Deb.

Lenore...its so hard on us CALS. We want to protect them and our PALS know it. Glad he is ok!

I'm so thankful he wasn't seriously hurt, both for him and for you!
Bathrooms are the most dangerous place in the house - such hard surfaces.

How wonderful you both rose above it to enjoy the family - well done to you both!

Thanks Tillie!

So glad Steve wasn't seriously hurt and that you all are enjoying the weekend with family. Happy Birthday Steve!

Deb, I think the shower falls are the worst. I'm so glad the Steve is ok. Now when people tell me how good Matt looks, I just smile and say yes, he cleans up nicely. Congratulations on a wonderful day. I can think of nothing more important right now.
Becky

Glad he wasn't hurt. Deb, Your attitude is great. Thank you.

I am really glad to read that Steve was not hurt.

So good to hear that the rest of the day was special.

Steve

You know you handled all that like a champ/pro. You deserve to have a day. Hope it was a great one!

tc

Well..I just had to share this day with the rest of my family across the globe. Steve's day was grand. We were missing my daughter, his son and four of the grandkids but we had children, grandchildren, brother, son-in-law, brother, my best friend and my bestfriends sis/husband. Decided to only have family so as not to big of a crowd for Steve.

As you will see from the pics I post our family is a true depiction of culture and ethnicity. He was able to see a grandchild that he has not seen since he was 13 months old. This is the first time both of our families have been under the same roof. What a grand day for Steve and I. Lots of food and laughs. I could not have given him a better gift. I do have to say that the glasses and whoopie cushion my two grandchildren picked out were pretty good.

It was a day for him to remember and cherish. Its the day he needed to be complete. I end this day and I am the last person standing. The house is quiet! I am sitting here alone and mentally dealing with the losses... I have seen the past couple of days. I could also see those losses in his eyes and hear it in his voice.

His fall was just the beginning of the loss of his walking or standing on his own. He was not able to get up on his own and several times today I had to help him... while not letting anyone see. He had to use the breathing machine several times today. I will go to sleep sometime tonight thinking that ALS really sucks... I will also be very grateful for the time we have left and for our family, friends and everyone here on this forum. Its all so bitter sweet... as you all, know to well.

Why must something so bad come into such wonderful lives? I have learned so much this past year. I have seen with my own eyes the destruction it spreads around the world. I have seen the beauty and hope that all of us share. I have read the stories here of utter heartbreak and of some of the most humble and wonderful moments. This disease forever changes us. We learn so much and know how truly important each day is. I have been greatly inspired, humbled and have come to know the true definition of love and caring.

Sorry this is so long but I could not help telling all of you how much it has meant to me to be part of this forum. Like our family, we are from all over the globe but are united and we are there for each other. Even though our paths are very different... we have a lot of the same bumps in the road and we all know where we are going. The road is a lot easier with family and friends.

So glad Steve was not hurt!
You just keep on posting girl we love here all about it!
Love ya chally

Deb, I am so glad that Steve was not seriously injured. Falls are very traumatic for the CALS as well as the PALS.

It sounds like you both had a wonderful day, which you so deserved. So happy for you!

Sharon

ALS really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back