Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Hudson Valley
Just wondering how people with weak neck muscles manage haircuts.

I went for a long overdue cut last night. We took the headrest off my pwc. Well I forgot it was off and tilted my head back only to find I couldn't pick my head back up. An awful feeling. I didn't realize my neck muscles were weak.

My son lifted my head and put the headrest back on. He held my head forward while the stylist cut the back of my hair, which got very uncomfortable after awhile.

I don't know if there's an easier way. Thanks.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Sorry you are going through this. I had hair down the middle of my back for 8 years, and got it cut short in August because of this disease. I have weakness in my neck too, but I don't believe mine is as bad as yours - yet.

We just have to be creative in figuring out how to get things done for ourselves.

Take care.

Hugs,
Deb

My husband got a buzz cut and I cut it after that.

When I had cervical spine surgery in February, I had to wear a neck brace for 8 weeks. They come in both hard and soft versions. I think this might be a solution since the person cutting your hair would have access to your whole head, except for the lower neck region. Just a thought. Bill

Definitely it sounds time for a neck brace, you could really injure your neck without one.

I had dreadlocks done my back to my butt and last thanksgiving my daughters cut them off. I hadn't had a hair cut since 1969 and now a friend comes to the house and cuts hair short for me every two wks. I donated the money I raised by offering a cut clean dread to anyone who could help out.
Raised $25,000 for research @ Duke. Now I got this Hugh white beard on my face, wonder what I can git to cut it.
My neck muscles are weak but not so much so no major problem right now. Chally

Wow Chally - $25,000 what a wonderful way to turn cutting your hair after so long into a victory!

Chris also had long hair, we were kind of in a challenge to see whose would get longest. I cried alone the day he had his hair all cut off.

When he could no longer get out to the barber, even with me, I would keep it trimmed, and I used his clippers as I could get a neat finish even though it was short hair not clipped to the scalp. I found this faster and neater even as his neck strength depleted.

I've had neck issues long before ALS. For the last 7 years I've had my hair short. I have lots of hair but it is fine. They spray it and razor cut it. For the last few cuts I've had someone come to the house. She is from my church and won't take a dime. I have not bent my head forward or backward in a beauty parlor chair for years. When I was dx with Meniere's disease my doctor warned me not to have my neck bent for any length of time and that's when I decided shorter hair was for me. It's a relief.

Aha! I think the neck brace is the perfect answer! Thanks for the idea. It just surprised me cause I can still move my head in all directions, didn't realize muscles were getting weaker.

It's always something with this disease.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back