Breath stacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fwiw I verified my method during a pft. My 'normal' FVC% was 62%, after 'filling up' with my method, I blew 102%.

Last edited:
Did you do it while sitting in the room while they waited for you? or before going in? The member and I were actually talking about qualifying for a trial when the fvc could be an issue. I sort of remembered you telling us this but was not sure exactly what happened

To be clear: the 102% was solely from the extra air I stacked. NOT from my normal breathing afterwards

Got it. Did you ever try stacking then fvc after with normal breathing? Was it a smidge better do you think? I am just thinking about people who are right on the edge for a clinical trial

Haven't had that opportunity, no.

It's just something I do every morning to help maintain.

But I'm dropping regardless

I read the study about inspiratory training being the only significant type of breathing training for ALS and that is really what breath stacking is. After I read that study I bought the tool they used in the study (about $60 on Amazon). After I breath stack and relax, I found I do better with the training tool AND on how much air my lungs can inhale (I have a cheap tool that measures it.) I've always been a shallow breather and the breath stacking seems to help open my lungs up. I don't do it enough.

I do breath stacking every day while using the cough assist machine. They taught me how to do this at clinic. It helps clear out he lungs and open them up.

We count 1001, and 1002, 1003… Up to 1006. I breathe in on the odd numbers and hold it on the even numbers . After 1006 I hold it as long as possible, or they do a big exhale to clear the Lungs. Using the Machine allows the Lungs to fill more fully than when I do it by myself.

My RT told me about that and we'll try it next time. I haven't used my cough assist yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back