Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 PM #1 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breath stacking

I was messaging with a newer member and this came up. It occurs to me perhaps others have not read about this

Take a look at the links in this thread Breath Stacking (again)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:47 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
Diagnosed: 11/2012
GregK has disabled reputation
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Breath stacking

Fwiw I verified my method during a pft. My 'normal' FVC% was 62%, after 'filling up' with my method, I blew 102%.

Last edited by GregK : 11-04-2016 at 07:52 PM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GregK For This Useful Post:
KimT (11-04-2016), Nikki J (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 07:57 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Did you do it while sitting in the room while they waited for you? or before going in? The member and I were actually talking about qualifying for a trial when the fvc could be an issue. I sort of remembered you telling us this but was not sure exactly what happened
Old 11-04-2016, 08:17 PM #4 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

To be clear: the 102% was solely from the extra air I stacked. NOT from my normal breathing afterwards
Old 11-04-2016, 08:26 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Got it. Did you ever try stacking then fvc after with normal breathing? Was it a smidge better do you think? I am just thinking about people who are right on the edge for a clinical trial
Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 PM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Haven't had that opportunity, no.

It's just something I do every morning to help maintain.

But I'm dropping regardless
Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member

KimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant future

I read the study about inspiratory training being the only significant type of breathing training for ALS and that is really what breath stacking is. After I read that study I bought the tool they used in the study (about $60 on Amazon). After I breath stack and relax, I found I do better with the training tool AND on how much air my lungs can inhale (I have a cheap tool that measures it.) I've always been a shallow breather and the breath stacking seems to help open my lungs up. I don't do it enough.
Thanks from
GregK (11-04-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 AM #8 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of light
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of lightazgirl is a glorious beacon of light

I do breath stacking every day while using the cough assist machine. They taught me how to do this at clinic. It helps clear out he lungs and open them up.

We count 1001, and 1002, 1003… Up to 1006. I breathe in on the odd numbers and hold it on the even numbers . After 1006 I hold it as long as possible, or they do a big exhale to clear the Lungs. Using the Machine allows the Lungs to fill more fully than when I do it by myself.
Thanks from
patoyeah (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:29 AM #9 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

My RT told me about that and we'll try it next time. I haven't used my cough assist yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
mnd

« Morphine | AFOs »