Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
My moms birthday is coming up at the end of this month and I would like to get her a present as usual but I really don't know what to get her now. She has no use of her left hand, very little of her right hand, is wheelchair bound...Id like to get her something that makes her life a bit better or makes her feel pampered but I don't know what.

Any ideas?

If she is someone who likes to be pampered, perhaps you could get a mobile nail technician out to do a manicure/ pedicure.

Nothing cheers me up quite like pretty toes and the massage helps with circulation.

Wendy x

Ditto above but also consider : cds and or dvds, she may be wanting different clothing ( my sister wanted slightly longer skirts as she is tilted back in wheelchair), over the knee knee socks ( something I want / need as well) if you are at all spastic cold makes it worse and cold legs are no fun. Something pretty to look at or can you put together a digital picture show in a digital frame?

Netflix is good for solo entertainment or with friends.

Flowers are great! Yea they don't last long but when I have a vase of assorted flowers to look at my day is better. Just saying! Love ya chally

Hi, Jenny, not sure of your budget but in winter, most PALS are cold so some top items for that are Vasowraps for the legs, a low voltage heated mattress pad for the hospital or regular bed and a light but warm blanket for anywhere (Berkshire Blanket makes some good ones). Also, if she roots for a college or pro team, a blanket or throw declaring her allegiance could never go amiss.

Hi Jenny, if she has wi-fi and you can afford it the Amazon Echo is a wonderful gift. It can do so many things. It can tell her the news, play music, read her books, be a dictionary, tell her interesting facts, she can tell it what she needs and the list can be sent to any mobile phone. Its an invaluable gift. It can also be used with accessories that can turn lights off and on, send out alarms. The list goes on and on.

My husband just had a birthday and we bought him a digital picture frame that our kids (near and far) can update with pictures. He immediately sees them and can enjoy pictures of our grandchildren and various activities - such as Halloween. The frame sits next to his chair. Because he is also struggling with memory problems, this helps him keep family names and faces fresh. We're adding others to the account and his old college friends who live out of state just sent some pictures as well. He doesn't say a lot but did say he really likes the frame. : )

Last edited:
Hi Jenny, if she has wi-fi and you can afford it the Amazon Echo is a wonderful gift. It can do so many things. It can tell her the news, play music, read her books, be a dictionary, tell her interesting facts, she can tell it what she needs and the list can be sent to any mobile phone. Its an invaluable gift. It can also be used with accessories that can turn lights off and on, send out alarms. The list goes on and on.

I thought of the Echo, it seems like a God send but moms speech is almost unintelligible now so I doubt it would work for her. You should hear the things Siri thinks she is saying, we get a good laugh out of it.

If she is someone who likes to be pampered, perhaps you could get a mobile nail technician out to do a manicure/ pedicure.

Nothing cheers me up quite like pretty toes and the massage helps with circulation.

Wendy x

I thought of that, like a massage or something as well but my mom is embarrassed by how she looks and sounds and refuses to let people see her, she only lets select friends even see her. Its frustrating because I think that would do so much good for her!

Hi, Jenny, not sure of your budget but in winter, most PALS are cold so some top items for that are Vasowraps for the legs, a low voltage heated mattress pad for the hospital or regular bed and a light but warm blanket for anywhere (Berkshire Blanket makes some good ones). Also, if she roots for a college or pro team, a blanket or throw declaring her allegiance could never go amiss.

I looked at the Vasowrap site but I am having trouble figuring out what is so special about them that a leg warmer wouldn't do. My mind is a bit cloudy after my surgery so if you could help me out that would be awesome

How about an electric blanket? I have an electric lap blanket which is such a luxury in cold weather!
If she is self conscious, could you give her a mani pedi? It doesn't have to be professional, she will feel pampered and appreciate the time with you.
I also like the idea of fresh flowers. Again, a small indulgence that will make her feel special.
Kathy

What about a warm snuggly blanket

How about an electric blanket? I have an electric lap blanket which is such a luxury in cold weather!
If she is self conscious, could you give her a mani pedi? It doesn't have to be professional, she will feel pampered and appreciate the time with you.
I also like the idea of fresh flowers. Again, a small indulgence that will make her feel special.
Kathy

I regularly do the mani pedi thing for her. I would love to get her an electric throw but even when she is cold she doesn't want anything on her because then she can't move...I think it may make her feel claustorphobic but I don't know....wow, I butchered that world

Re the Vasowraps--they are made of a special light material that redirects the body's own heat, so they don't cause sweating as, for example, throwing an electric blanket on top could do, and generate more heat-for-weight than fleece or wool. With a hook and loop fastener, they can stay on and be comfortable. So you would still want the core to be covered, but they help keep the lower body from chill/causing chill overall, if that made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back