Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
I need help. I have been able to go the bathroom on my own. I move my PWC as close to the bathroom door as I can, get up and grab anything I can to reach the toilet. No problem, yet, with doing that. Problem I am having - it is getting harder to get myself up. I have the attached elevated toilet thing with handles, but I know, at any day now, I wont' be able to get up.

What happens then? Do I start wearing diapers? I have a commode and a Hoyer lift. Will my husband have to put me in the Hoyer lift and get me onto the commode?

I fear this bathroom problem more than I do dying. My husband is disabled and he may hurt himself lifting me. I'm tall and not obese, but I still weigh more than I think he can handle, and it's dead weight when the legs give out.

My husband says we will take one day at a time, and face each obstacle as it happens. Where that sounds great, I'm a planner and I feel we need to be ready for when my legs no longer function.

Deb

My husband feared this too.

We moved him from a lift chair to a raised commode right next to the chair, using a transfer sling around his chest.

When it became too difficult for me, my son had to do it.

Hugs to you,
Joan

I think that a hoyer to commode will be the safest and easiest for both your husband and for you. I can understand your fear, so awful to lose this basic ability that we have taken for granted since such a young age. xx

I'm surprised that hubbie isn't already transferring you with the Hoyer Lift.

Start it sooner than later. He can learn to lift you, shuttle you down the hallway in the lift, and place you on the toilet.

Then he can stand next to you to hold you up so you don't fall over.

And believe it or not, a man can learn to wipe you, as well.

We made little jokes and took it all in stride. I saw it as an expression of love.

Hi Deb
Seem to be following a similar progression path to you, I can just manage to get on and of the toilet at the moment but it's a major struggle an a bit dodgy balance wise. I have already fallen off one loo and got myself wedged between the toilet and the shower. Very undignified!

As a solution we are installing a geberit toilet, my ot says she can get me a wheeled commode chair that will work with it. Hubby will be able to help me on to the chair manually initially and by hoist later. The chair is pushed over the toilet. The lovely thing about this is it has a wash and dry function, so no involvement from hubby required on the wiping front. It also has a vigorous jet function to assist with constipation problems.

It's all being installed this week by hubby as part of him turning our tiny downstairs bathroom into a wetroom. I can't wait, it's a bit silly being this excited over a toilet but dignity is important.

Wendy x

Hi Wendy, We have been looking at bidets and trying to determine if you could use one with a roll over commode chair. My husband is currently using this type of commode chair with our toilet with no bidet. Would you mind sending more info about the model you are purchasing? Thank you!

hi Sun

We have a geberit 8000plus bidet toilet. Our o.t is sourcing the commode chair I think she is looking at the freeway t80 auto commode shower chair, this works with the geberit and closomat toilets. Buti did a bit of an Internet search and the dailycare combi + is listed as working with the geberit model also.

Hope that helps

Update edit: just saw the price of those t80 autos ouch! The Freeway T40 AUTO also works with bidet toilets and is much better price wise as it doesn't have the fancy tilt and recline.

Wendy xx

Last edited:
Thank you so much! The PT came over this morning, and we used the Hoyer lift. Good thing we did because it is not the right one. There is no hole in the fabric lifter and the Hoyer lift has to be cranked. Per recommendation on the PT we need an electric one to make it easier on my husband and one that has brakes. It was difficult for the PT to use the one we have.

She, also, recommended that we put the commode over the toilet because it is higher. So, for now, I can get up. In the meantime, I am going to check into the bidet toilet.

Hugs,
Deb

Brakes? That makes no sense to me. But you definitely need an electric lift. As for the sling, get a "divided leg" sling, not a "toilet" sling with a tiny opening.

By brakes I think she's referring to the locks on the wheels to keep the Hoyer from moving during transfers.

I got that, but we never needed to use those; of course, my husband was a fair weight and we were on carpet; Mary is as well. Anyway, I think all modern lifts would have them, so it's good, F&L, to get one more up to date.

Last edited:
We have wood floors throughout the house, and the PT was the one who mentioned brakes, but I'm sure she meant locks. We just got the new Hoyer lift today, so we will practice with it.

Update edit: just saw the price of those t80 autos ouch! The Freeway T40 AUTO also works with bidet toilets and is much better price wise as it doesn't have the fancy tilt and recline.

Wendy xx[/QUOTE]

Wendy, the tilt and recline will be very important later on, when the back muscles go. They are expensive, but may make showers available much longer. Now that I'm doing most of the scrubbing, I tilt Hubby a LOT.
Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back