On Bipap 24 / 7, how to wash hair and dental care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patoyeah

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Dover
Morning, I am on bipap continuously. Usually via nasal pillows, though I have been having trouble with my nostrils getting sore and getting cut up. May need to start wearing masks?

Using bipap 24 / 7, I often seem to struggle now, being off the bipap, even for a couple minutes. How to wash my hair, and do dental care, in this scenario?

Also, my neck has no strength, my head bounces around like a Pinata. I am completely paralyzed, I can only move my eyes.

Thank you Cals, you are a lifesaver, and a beautiful generous gift for me. My situation would be a world of hurt, without your guidance.

Take care,

Pat

Hi Pat,
Have you tried washing your hair while sitted on your wheelchair and using a shampoo tray?

Your CALS can put water in a bucket and wash you with little by little with a glass. Never tried with my wife while on bipap, but thats how we do it now that she has a tracheo.

Saludos!
Lucas

I am also on the bipap 24/7 I also share some of those problems. I have my wife put a little Vaseline in my nostrils with a q tip. This is helping with the soreness. Being almost bald it's not too much trouble to wash my hair with the mask on in the shower. I usually have a second person to hold my head upright in the shower. I do the shower with the bipap on.

They can give you a 12 ft hose for the bipap. This will let you keep the machine out of the shower.

Do you have a reclining bath chair? That could help. Waterless or dry shampoo is an option for other days.

The teeth get tricky. If you are able to swish I would use an antiplaque mouthwash. Your cals could get a power brush....colgates are around 5 bucks and brush wherever possible. The head sizes vary butbL I wiuld get a tiny one for maximum coverage

Bonus Question, for those using bipap 24 / 7, are u able to do cough assist, while using the bipap?

als is awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back