When you are falling and there's not a damn thing you can do to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueandGold

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Well fell on my ass today. You don't realize how much strength you've lost until something like this happens. I was getting ready to take a nap with my trilogy. Sat on edge of my bed and my feet (had socks on) started sliding forward. I have a nightstand right by my bed, grabbed it with both hands. Still went down like a ton of bricks. My wheelchair was about six feet away. I srarted dragging myself towards the chair. Took 10 minutes and I was dripping with sweat and completely out of breath.

After beeping the horn on the chair for a few minutes, my son, who was upstairs heard it and came to my rescue. Then I cried like a baby for 20 minutes. Didn't get a scratch but still can't believe I'm this helpless. Having my pwc and other equipment gives me a false sense of security. Really hurts, not physically but emotionally.

Vince

So sorry Vince, it's like being sabotaged by your own body :cry:

I'm so glad your son was home!

So sorry Vince. I know it hurts. My Steve is fighting his body very hard right now.

The only thing you can do is try to minimize the damage.

Protect your head! I barely missed our heavy oak bed frame...

Sorry dude....but real glad you didn't hurt yourself. Be more careful!!

tc

Vince, I'm sorry.

I came back from the hurricane evacuation yesterday and had to throw out everything in the refrigerator. The grocery store is only a mile away so I drove down. I felt pretty secure because I was using the cart as a walker. The store was very crowded and I took my hands off the cart and got a bad cramp in my back and down I went. My A## landed right in the beer cooler. No harm done but I bet a lot of people thought I was drunk and looking to get more beer.....if only.....

I know everyone warns to "not fall". I just think falling is part of the risk I choose to take to keep doing things as long as I can. I know it's stupid but I'm just being truthful.

I DO know, for sure, falling accelerates progressing. Ever since my good ankle got sprained, my left leg is doing worse and so is my back and entire core.

I don't blame you for crying. I cried when I read your post because I get it.

So glad that you are okay, but sad that this happened to you.

Bob had a few falls and those were when we both totally lost it. Many, many tears. Him, because he could not get up and me, seeing how helpless and frustrated he was.

Thinking of you & sending hugs.

Joan

Sorry to hear this Vince. It's scary... In the last couple months I've lost the ability to walk without assistance and I've taken some spills. You're right, there's nothing you can do to stop it once you start falling. Loosing independence is the scariest part. I'm afraid to go anywhere by myself now. Keep on fighting and lets hope you don't have any more falls. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

ALS really sucks. Do you have a superpole? I got one a few months back, makes getting in and out of bed much safer. Glad to hear you're OK.
Vincent

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I thought if I had been here alone and couldn't crawl to the phone, eventually I would wear out and be flat on my back or stomach and then I'd suffocate. I just can't accept that so much of my body is gone.

Vincent, what is a super pole and can you use it if you core muscles are shot?

Vince

So sorry Vince! ALS Sucks!

Last edited:
Vince do you have a medical alert device? Steve got one thru our security company that was waterproof and weighed about an ounce. The one the VA supplied was too heavy for him.

Don't have a medic alert device. I live in the country and we have no cell service, only a landline.

Vince

There are systems that work with landlines Vince

Same $hit is happening to me Vince!
Legs go out no warning,espically w/ o braces on.
Each day is a challenge, am I am on lunisin right , not seeing any signs of reversal but maybe it's old Bach fast progression.?
Take it easy brother, glad your not hurt. Love ya man chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back