12/2015
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
West Orange
Howdy all,

I'm going overseas for a nice weeklong second honeymoon. Maintaining weight has been really difficult lately, and I've lost another few pounds. My doctor keeps telling me to put on weight. Easy for him to ask.

Has anyone traveled and taken supplements or something with them? What did you do to keep your caloric intake up? I can eat, but it's tedious, so I tend to get most of my calories from Ensure Plus or home made smoothies. I doubt I can pack an extra suitcase with Ensure! Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you!

They will have either Ensure or a version of it there.

I'm going to be on an island in Greece. I'm worried about them not having it there.

Have you tried the powder form of Ensure plus? The powder form would weigh a lot less than cans so depending on how many servings you need you may be able to pack enough. Ensure usually falls under medical necessity so you may want to check with your airline to see if they would allow you a free checked bag. Carry on bags with only medical supplies/equipment in them usually don't count towards your carry on bag limit but again check with the airline.

Hope you have a wonderful 2nd honeymoon!

vw

Can you check with where you will be staying? Also they will definitely have greek yogurt, you could make smoothies with that.

This is something that can be dealt with one way or another. Go and have a great time!

I would focus on high calorie foods that are part of the Greek diet: if you can eat a cup of full fat Greek yogurt for breakfast that will be close to 200 calories, and adding honey will make it even more calorie dense. Feta cheese can also be a good source of calories. 2 oz is about 75 calories. 100 grams of grilled Halumi cheese is close to 300 calories, so this seems like a good bet for a calorie rich meal. You can also add extra olive oil to your meals: 1 tablespoon is about 120 calories. I tablespoon of taramosalata is approx. 60 calories. Moussaka I am sure is also calorie dense. I realize you said eating is tedious, but these might be foods to keep in mind if you cannot have access to smoothies or supplements.

Last edited:
When you go out to eat, you can ask for a smoothie. Bars have blenders and kitchens have fruit,cream,etc. Greek yogurt is a good idea with honey. Get a letter from your doctor saying xxx is medically necessary. Get ensure, carnation breakfast,etc in powdered form. You can addmit to virtually anything or put it down the tube. I am sure there must be a sweet creamy dessert you would enjoy like panna cotta.

I would think coconut milk would be readily available to mix for smoothies

I didn't realize Ensure came in Powder form, learned something new. Thanks. Was going to suggest Carnation Instant Breakfast. Each 8 oz serving is 280 calories and is easy to carry. I use it when I fly to put in my g-tube since the TSA gets twitchy with my formula. Easy to mix.

If you can't find the Ensure in powder form at your grocery store you can order it from Amazon in Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry.

Use lots of full fat yogurt, cheeses, and olive oils.
If it's a function of not having an appetite, that can be cured with a small dose of Remeron (but I wouldn't start it right before going somewhere.) I'm sure they have coconut oil there. 1 tablespoon is over 100 calories.

What about Boost Very High Calorie? It's 530 calories per serving. Could you have it shipped to the hotel you will be staying at?

Vince

As someone mentioned, i would suggest you find online what supplement (food blends, ensure, etc) you can ship directly to the hotel and that would solve the issue of carrying it with you!
Good Luck,

Saludos
Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back