12/2015
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
West Orange
Hi all,

Curious to know what kind of positive effect Neudexta may have on speech issues? Does it make it any better? Just holds off progression?

I don't have PBA, and swallowing isn't too bad. It's movement of the tongue when eating and speaking that's the worst of it. I asked my dr. and because I'm also on sertraline, he can't prescribe it. The two don't interact well. My big question is if Neudexta good enough that I should contemplate getting off sertraline. I don't want to spiral back into depression (also on Wellbutrin which doesn't have interaction problems).

Diagnosed in December 2015 with bulbar issues going back to January 2015. Fasciculations going back to 2013.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have bulbar onset and my speech is gone, had swallowing problems, and excess saliva. I had seen reference to Nuedexta here on the forum and convinced my neurologist at Johns Hopkins to let me try it. Although the drug is designed to treat pseudobulbar affect, it is known to help other bulbar symptoms. In my case it made a remarkable difference in my ability to swallow (I still can't chew) liquids, and cut down on my excess saliva. No change in my inability to speak. I've been on it now for two months. Bill

Hi,
My husband has been on it for almost a year. He didn't take it for about a week and a half and I noticed a difference in his voice. Once he went back on it, his voice went back to the way it was before he stopped taking it.

Neudexta had a very positive effect for my husband. When he was first diagnosed he took 1 1/2 hours to eat a meal because of swallowing issues, but within a week or so of taking the Neudexta he was able to eat normally again. This did not last forever, but it gave him additional months where he was able to enjoy a meal. Of all the things that are out there for ALS, I truly believe Neudexta is the best thing we found on our journey. I don't know how much it helps with speech for sure, but from our experience I think it made a difference there also.

It didn't help with my speech, but I think it may have helped a little with my PBA. It was difficult for me to adjust to Neudexta, I did not start with two a day for a month.

You might want to do a search on this subject, we have beat it to death on this forum.;-)

I did read back on some of the older threads. I'm curious if anyone has changed anti-depressant medication to allow them to take neudexta.

It didn't help my partner with his speech but it did help with upper respiratory breathing and somewhat with swallowing.

I did read back on some of the older threads. I'm curious if anyone has changed anti-depressant medication to allow them to take neudexta.

I am on Wellbutrin and Amitriptyline for anti-depressants. My neuro thinks you can mix anti-depressants with Neudexta. I have also taken Zoloft and Prozac with Neudexta, before settling on Wellbutrin.

You might end up tryin a few combinations to find what fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back