Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
Can my daughter be paid for taking care of me?

She does not work, and I need help. I just got approval for Medicare, and I have secondary insurance through work (I am retired) too. I have long term care insurance, but they will not cover a family member.

Hugs,
Deb

I think so if she is getting benefits paid like ssi and taxes. You would need to double check though.

And paid the prevailing wage. Too much would open you to irs questions.

Please really think this through. I get the emotional parts which may trump everything else but...
Is it best for her, longterm? She needs to get back in the workforce. The longer she is out the harder it will be. Does she have a profession she can return to? Will she need refresher courses? If so, ex should pay. If not ex should pay for training so she can make a living wage in some job. If she is working for you during divorce proceedings that might not happen

You have ltc insurance. Is there a waiting period for benefits for home care? There was for my sister and it was a certain number of days she had to pay for care so six months was really 10 because of weekends, holidays and vacations. Fortunately she started using it early when she only needed part time help so she only had to pay full time for a little while

There are few states (only a couple) where a family member can be paid as a caregiver. Look online at Nevada gov websites to find answers or numbers to call.

You're right. She is one semester short of getting her Bachelor's degree, and has some job experience in retail and web design. I will get the help I need from our ALS Association or my long-term care insurance. She will need benefits. I would like to see her finish college, but I know this is not a time to have her pursue this.

I feel so bad for her. She does not deserve to be treated like this from that scum bag husband. He fooled us all with his charm. I've worked with police officers for years, and the suicide rate is high and so is the divorce rate. I spoke about this often with him, and he told me he would never be unfaithful to Nikki (my daughter is a Nikki too). He always hugged me and told me he loved me. He called me Mom. This is a huge loss for all of us.

Thanks Nikki,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back