What should I know about a Trilogy Bipap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolSue

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
I had my clinic visit on the 8th of this month and my FVC was 66. We talked about a Bipap machine and I told the RT I would rather get it early to get used to it before I really need it. I had kinda forgotten about it and a rep from Midwest Respiratory called today and said my insurance approved a Trilogy and they are coming Tuesday to get it set up.

What questions should I ask? Any advice? I've heard these things are sometimes frustrating to get used to.

Thank you for all your help/advice,

CarolSue :smile:

Last edited:
My husband hated the idea of it. He started out using it for a few hours at a time and built of from there. Just make sure you get a mask that you feel is comfortable. Our respiratory tech was wonderful and came right out for any adjustments we needed.

Joan

I am new to it ( mon / half) I got a full face which cover nose& mouth and I have a full beard. For some reason I got used to it right away. I know that's not the case w/ most. Lucky I guess, if there is such a thing w/ this nightmare.
Clean your tube & whatever mouth/ nose piece you use every few days as it can get funky and get ya sick.
If one thing don't feel right try another till ya get it right.
My guy had the setting from my pulmiologist and they seem to be right so lucky again wow . Good luck love ya chally

The settings are no worry since they can be adjusted. If you are using the DME for your mask, you might want to look up some of the options on line first at places like cpap.com and be an informed participant in the process. The mask is the part of the system that people would honestly disagree the most on, as it is a personal comfort issue. When you try it on your own, make sure the humidifier is on and full of distilled water.

Best,
Laurie

This is only financial because we have not used the Trilogy. We asked about it, and found ( at least from our supplier) that our portion of the monthly rental would be 218.00 and would not end.

With my husband's first bipap, we paid a much lower monthly fee that ended after 9 months, I think. We've owned it free and clear for a while now.

If you don't have a good Medicare GAP policy in place, you will probably have a co-pay. The good news is that there are medical supply companies that will negotiate or even take what medicare gives them. Try another medicare approved supplier.

It's outrageous what they are "renting" this equipment for. I looked and Medicare paid $1,055 for my Trilogy and BCBS picked up the balance of $211. This is just RENT!!!! The cough assist is a rent-to-own. Medicare paid $435 and BCBS paid $87. I will own this in 13 months. However, they told me if my insurance didn't pay their share, they would write it down to what medicare pays. That's still a very healthy profit for them. They will come by once a year and replace the Trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back