05/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sunnyvale
Hi everyone,
In reading about California's right to die law, I see it went into effect June of 2015.

It states that patient must be able to swallow medication independently. Does anyone know what that means exactly? I already have a G-Tube and have trouble swallowing the smallest pill; like Riluzole. I have to take with yogurt pudding or applesauce. My doc says it won't be long--I'll lose my ability to swallow.

So I asked him about this and he said something like I'm not quite sure about that, but you should get the word from palliative care. Palliative care doesn't want to talk about it yet because I haven't filled out any paperwork (DNR, advanced directive) and I do not fall into the six months time frame.

If anyone knows if this excludes ALS patients because we can't swallow--and by then probably can't push the meds into the tube--it would give me peace of mind. I have thought a lot about it but haven't decided for sure. When I couldn't get any answers it made me uneasy.

Thank you. Blessings :)

Make a phone call to the California chapter of CompassionAndChoices (dot) org.

When I called the Washington State C&C, they said they understood ALS and it's not a problem. But if I were you I would call the the California C&C.

Dropping meds into a G-tube is OK under the law, but technically [in WA, DK re Cali] it's supposed to be the PALS that tips it. It doesn't matter. There are enough ways to die with dignity that have nothing to do with that law. Don't stress -- read some of the previous posts and then ask any questions you have.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie is right. Keep in mind that there is no law against relieving a patient's pain or fear by increasing morphine doses, even if the dose is fatal. The key is intent. The person amping up the dosage is intending to relieve suffering, which is both legal and moral. (I checked with the church on this.)

The real trick is finding a person with the guts to do it for you.

I read her story the other day. She was very brave and beat this stupid disease her way. We are all different and we should be able to make our own choices in this disease without interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back