Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
People who are new to this nightmare often ask what next. My advice is simple; "have NO REGRETS."

You will not be able to do as much tomorrow as you can today. So do everything you can while you can. Do not waste time feeling sorry for yourself or your situation but aggressively run at everything as fast as you can. Try to pack everything you ever wanted into as short a time as possible.

Yes you will get tired, you will feel crappy, but better to do then not to do.

Along with doing all you can physically also love those who are in your life with all you can. Do not end up regretting how you treated those you love.

These are words for PALS and CALS, Don't waste the days you have.

Yup....that is how I roll. I get really down on myself if I don't accomplish sumpin everyday. My attitude is "I can rest up when I die".

I often push myself to the limit, and pay the price the next day.......but at least I feel productive. I really hate when I loose a day here and there because I used all my reserves.

Good words here, thanks. It took me so, so long to realize that our relationships are our sustenance. It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. Don't worry about tomorrow, just enjoy today. The first time life offers you an opportunity is usually the best; don't wait for the right time.

Wow...three man with such great knowledge. It's a good day! All joking aside, the three of you always have me thinking in the most positive way! Thanks for the inspiration. Chally is out living and I hope he is having a blast.

I've been more introspective since my diagnosis. I reflected on my life and made some interesting discoveries. How do I leave the world a better place? How do I demonstrate my faith in a way that benefits others? How do I love better?

I guess, because I live alone and was a workaholic, this new reality has forced me to take a hard look at my past and decide to proceed with what I believe is most important.

Well said Pete!

Hugs,
Deb

I am so not alone here on this path, I love you all for your strength , courage, wisdom thanks! Chally

Well said, Tripete. That's been my motto ever since I came to terms with my diagnosis, "Do all I can for as long as I can". It does me no good to reflect on the things I can no longer do so I just keep focusing on the things I can and making the most of the opportunities that life presents. So far this summer, we've been to 8 baseball games in 7 different cities from coast to coast and have 4 games in 3 cities starting Sunday, creating memories along the way for my family that will last a lifetime. While I may be dying from this disease, I am living with ALS to the fullest of my abilities.

I agree. I was diagnosed in November 2015. Went to Hawaii in January/Feb 2016; Then to Myrtle Beach in June 2016. Going to Disney World with our 3 year old granddaughter in October and Hawaii again in January/Feb 2017 (if able). Also have the next thing planned and moving things up when I can. Thankful for each day I have and very blessed to still have most of my mobility (with no speech and a feeding tube).

Thank you ,thank you for your wise words. I often get a little upset that my PALS does not chat about what I should do, when he is gone.
We are in business together,( have been for 30 years) and live on the land with plenty of challenges. Don't get me wrong,we have talked about the nuts and bolts of legal matters but he never chats about philosophical things. I guess it is such a challenge living for today, he is loving those around him and that is fine.

So important Pete, have no regrets. Steve said those words to me not long before he passed. I was saying I was so sorry this happened to him. He said not to be. He had had a good life, he was thankful we were able to have Julien, we provided him with love and care. He wasnt bitter about als because he had lived fully.

So important Pete, have no regrets. Steve said those words to me not long before he passed. I was saying I was so sorry this happened to him. He said not to be. He had had a good life, he was thankful we were able to have Julien, we provided him with love and care. He wasnt bitter about als because he had lived fully.

PLEASE all CALS here Steph's words. We do not want you living in depression when we are gone. Sad is OK and expected, but you have a (hopefully) long life to live, make the best of it and enjoy it.

I think Steph you have just described why Brian is sad, but not bitter about ALS. Even before his Dx, he said in bed to me one night "Don't cry for me Argentina, I've had a good life". He really has. He also told me he does not want me to live in the loss when he dies. Pretty much what Peter said, sad is okay but put an end to sadness. He said he does not want me to ever be a "professional widow". Meanwhile, we are sure enjoying all we can together.

Thanks Pete,
It would do us all good to do this.

I appreciate you for reminding me I have been whining a bit!

Jocalyn

I've told my family over and over that I'm okay with this because I've led a good life. I've been blessed with excellent friends, who encourage me to get out and see me frequently, and my family who I see all the time. I'm loved, and that is something I can say with pride. My legacy is that I taught my family that family comes first. I've taught them to love family more than they love themselves. By doing this, they will be rewarded just like I am now.

I even had a Marshal from work (I worked in the court system for 35 years) contact me and tell me he would carry me to Lake Tahoe so I can get my feet wet. He knows I love the water. His wife wanted him to do that for me because I wrote my wishes on Facebook of missing the lake. I won't have him do that because I would feel silly, but he's so strong and handsome, what gal wouldn't wan him to carry her (LOL)?

Hugs,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back