Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
FLORIDA
City
VERO BEACH
Can a broken wrist speed up progression in Bulbar onset? Wrist broken and operated on about a month ago and recovery is slow with other weaknesses showing up.

David

The fall may have ...

I think yes, but I guess you can't be sure that deterioration wouldn't have happened regardless of the fall/ recovery. Hope you heal quickly - a broken wrist is frustrating!

Sadly yes a broken wrist, or even soft tissue injuries can speed up progression.

What happens is that as the nerves supplying a muscle are dying, the muscle begins to waste. We know that an EMG will pick up dying nerves before you even realise the muscles are being affected.

So if the nerves in that arm were being affected by ALS and there is an injury (broken bones are always accompanied by soft tissue injury as well), then the muscle just doesn't heal. It depends on how far the nerves were affected as to how much healing will happen, but muscles that were already failing, and are injured just don't seem to heal or at least not heal well.

I saw incredible hastening of progression every time my Chris fell and injured himself :(

Yeb, fell onto my left wrist about 3 weeks ago. That hand was already going but seems to have taken a big turn for the worse. Thankfully I did not break it as my face helped take a large portion of the impact :)

I'm glad I decided to use the search button. I was going to ask this very question. Fell down about three or four stairs earlier today. Bruised but no broken bones. Both of my arms already had limited range of motion lifting my arms up especially over my head but now my left arm (the one I landed on) only has mobility when I keep my arm close to my body. I have to use my right hand to move the left arm around now. I want off this ride.

Sounds like you tore your rotator cuff in that fall, kitbud. I did that back in 2013 and it still bothers me a lot.

Sooo now that I have ALS do I chock these falls up to ALS and try to move on? I guess what I'm asking is should I see someone tomorrow because of not being able to move my left arm now or just write it off as part of ALS??

There are pros and cons. You may not heal from the injury but you could get symptom relief.

I would see someone....but that's just me. If anything can make it feel better, I'd try it. I would even go so far as to get an MRI to see what's going on (if you still can't move it in a week.) That's how we saw that my cuff was torn and that there was also a bunch of other crap going on in my shoulder area.

Yes Kitbud, I'd also recommended seeing someone *BUT* if physiotherapy is suggested, make sure they've neuromuscular expertise or you could end up worse off :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back