Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Does anyone have an elevated heart rate as this disease progresses? I have always had a little high resting heart rate, even in my early twenties it was 90 to 95. In the last month it has risen to between 117 to 126, and that's when I first wake up, before I even get out of bed. I've also noticed my right foot has been swelling. Looks like edema. Anyone have any ideas? Went to the doc today for sinus infection and he said my heart rate was 126 but made no further comments about it.

Vince

No elevated heart rate here.

Now, the swollen feet - that's a whole 'nother story.

Does anyone have an elevated heart rate as this disease progresses? I have always had a little high resting heart rate, even in my early twenties it was 90 to 95. In the last month it has risen to between 117 to 126, and that's when I first wake up, before I even get out of bed. I've also noticed my right foot has been swelling. Looks like edema. Anyone have any ideas? Went to the doc today for sinus infection and he said my heart rate was 126 but made no further comments about it.

Vince

Call your doctor and speak to his or her nurse about the concern. We do lots of doctoring over the phone these days...

It depends on a few things. Is your bp low? That can increase your heart rate to make up for low bp.

Medication can affect it- are you taking anything for the edema? Tizanidine? Baclofen?

What is your O2 level in your blood? Your iron? Anything that lowers the efficiency of getting O2 to your extremities will make your heart speed up to try to help.

Mine has slowly crept up over the last year. At the height of my fitness 3 years ago, I was at 56 bpm, resting. I am now at 115 to 130 depending.

I would recommend getting the swelling in your foot checked out though. With edema and a change in heart function, there's always the chance it's unrelated to ALS.

Fiona

Steve's left foot has been swollen for months. It's the first foot to have foot drop. I asked his doctor to look at it and she did. She said it happens with ALS and was not worried. Adding high heart rate is a new ballgame and you should call the doctor.

It depends on a few things. Is your bp low? That can increase your heart rate to make up for low bp.

Medication can affect it- are you taking anything for the edema? Tizanidine? Baclofen?

What is your O2 level in your blood? Your iron? Anything that lowers the efficiency of getting O2 to your extremities will make your heart speed up to try to help.

Mine has slowly crept up over the last year. At the height of my fitness 3 years ago, I was at 56 bpm, resting. I am now at 115 to 130 depending.

I would recommend getting the swelling in your foot checked out though. With edema and a change in heart function, there's always the chance it's unrelated to ALS.

Fiona

The only meds I've been taking other than Riluzole and Magestrol is over the counter meds for this sinus crap. Liquid Tylenol and Mucinex Cold & Sinus. BP is not low. 126/80

Vince

Mucinex cold and sinus contains phenylephrine which can cause rapid heart rate. Megace increases your risk for blood clots. Is your leg swollen at all? A blood clot that traveled to your lungs would cause tachycardia too. Hopefully it is just the mucinex but get checked

Last edited:
Many things can cause an elevated heart rate. Too many stimulants (including coffee) or something more serious like congestive heart failure. See your doctor and get to the bottom of it. If your blood is not properly oxygenated, your rate can to up. Labored breathing, extra effort to do things, etc.

Even anxiety can raise your heart rate.

The only way to know is visit your doctor.

Mucinex cold and sinus contains phenylephrine which can cause rapid heart rate. Megace increases your risk for blood clots. Is your leg swollen at all? A blood clot that traveled to your lungs would cause tachycardia too. Hopefully it is just the mucinex but get checked

No swelling in my leg Nikki just my foot. Sometimes it even turns a purplish color and is cold to the touch. Even when my heart rate was staying around 110, months ago, I couldn't get my PCP to do anything about and Duke was not concerned either.

Vince

Many things can cause an elevated heart rate. Too many stimulants (including coffee) or something more serious like congestive heart failure. See your doctor and get to the bottom of it. If your blood is not properly oxygenated, your rate can to up. Labored breathing, extra effort to do things, etc.

Even anxiety can raise your heart rate.

The only way to know is visit your doctor.

Can't seem to get my docs to do anything about this. Maybe they think a heart attack would be better than living with ALS. I just don't understand why they wouldn't at least put me on a beta blocker, but if they did I would probably never leave my bed. It makes no sense how I could have a heart rate of 126 yet feel like a zombie every day as far as energy.

Vince

Vince, I don't know if this will help but here goes. I have had several sinus infections the past couple of years and have taken over the counter meds. When taking them my normally very low heart rate gets very high. I am not sure if you have been on them since you started with a high heart rate but do think it could cause it.

With feet swelling and the high heart rate you might demand to have an EKG if it will help you to feel more at ease. It is your right and if you have insurance shouldn't worry about it.

I went to my three month check up today to get my anxiety meds and the doctor seen the swelling in my feet and legs. He did three EKG's on the spot. Needless to say I have to see a Cardio. This is not my thread so will end my story there. I don't have ALS but I don't think you should have to worry about heart issues and you are the patient so make them listen and explain.

Vince, I don't know if this will help but here goes. I have had several sinus infections the past couple of years and have taken over the counter meds. When taking them my normally very low heart rate gets very high. I am not sure if you have been on them since you started with a high heart rate but do think it could cause it.

With feet swelling and the high heart rate you might demand to have an EKG if it will help you to feel more at ease. It is your right and if you have insurance shouldn't worry about it.

I went to my three month check up today to get my anxiety meds and the doctor seen the swelling in my feet and legs. He did three EKG's on the spot. Needless to say I have to see a Cardio. This is not my thread so will end my story there. I don't have ALS but I don't think you should have to worry about heart issues and you are the patient so make them listen and explain.

Wife is going to call my PCP tomorrow and get an appointment. We will ask for an EKG.
Thanks for your response.
Vince

Vince,
I'm late to the party but agree w/ an EKG. Infections do increase HR and actually your pulse is likely to be highest when you wake up, but if it trends in the teens/twenties it should be checked out. If you have an oximeter, it'd be interesting to know any correlation between pulse and sats, and the "strength" indication (crude as it is) on the oximeter.

The Mucinex, as Fiona noted, does have a decongestant that can increase pulse, but also it causes rebound congestion and I would not be on it more than a few days. If it is a bacterial infection, you should be on abx. If it's not, there are other solutions for the congestion.

Hope you get to the bottom of it - I agree with most of what has been noted already so can't add more but my hopes it is easily figured out. I'd be thinking of a relationship to your breathing ...

Vince,
I'm late to the party but agree w/ an EKG. Infections do increase HR and actually your pulse is likely to be highest when you wake up, but if it trends in the teens/twenties it should be checked out. If you have an oximeter, it'd be interesting to know any correlation between pulse and sats, and the "strength" indication (crude as it is) on the oximeter.

The Mucinex, as Fiona noted, does have a decongestant that can increase pulse, but also it causes rebound congestion and I would not be on it more than a few days. If it is a bacterial infection, you should be on abx. If it's not, there are other solutions for the congestion.

I do have a pulseoximeter and my O2 stats are between 95 and 97. I'm up pretty early every morning as you can see by my post. Yesterday when I went to the doc it around noon. Gave me a shot of antibiotics and a shot of steroids and a scrip for a ten day supply of an antibiotic suspension. This morning when I woke up had a sneezing fit, nose ran like a river and my eyes are watering like crazy. Hate feeling like this.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back