Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Round Hill
So we have had a very dramatic few weeks. My husband had a spectacular choking incident that resulted in him turning blue. I still can't believe that I was able to clear the blockage, but I did. Things you never thought you could do! Anyway, it resulted in pushing the PEG decision, which he agreed to after repeatedly refusing. I think the choking incident result in fear of taking anything by mouth. However, at this point he is basically emaciated.

The procedure was done by IR, and they decided to start him on a slow pump because he was malnourished. He did well initially but then when they got him up to the target rate he started with extreme intestinal distress and is now retaining urine. They have dropped the pump rate again, given him Imodium and have him on a semi-elemental formula, but his tummmy is still rumbling, he has a catheter because of the urine retention and he is still feeling a bit 'yucky' for lack of a better word. It's been a week. Any thoughts or suggestions? He is most anxious to get rid of the catheter.

Tracy

Glad he is still with us, and props to you, Tracy.

I would try real blenderized food, starting with his favorite soup, of course, and working up just as you would do with any illness. Don't know what formula he's on but the heavy sugars/sodium could be upsetting his fluid balance, esp. if he was malnourished to begin with. Also might consider what foods/drinks in the past resulted in frequent urination and try them.

I'm generally not an Imodium fan as that too is disruptive to electrolyte balances and is traumatic to the system.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back