Old 06-12-2016, 02:49 AM #1 (permalink)

City: hadarom, israel
State: AA
Diagnosed: 04/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
BetsyB is on a very distinguished road
Default sex and ALS - limb onset

warning - this is a very frank post
I'm affected mostly in my hands and arms so far. My hands are weakening more every day. I can't eat with a fork this week, have trouble sitting up and walk with walker, etc. Living is beginning to involve more pain and frustration than ordinary pleasures.

I am divorced almost ten years and as a single mother I have been totally focused on caring for my kids. Romantic life was pretty much cast aside as impossible for years. I am almost 60. Not an age where men would be chasing me...

But now that my body is deteriorating I am feeling every day like i must find some sexual outlet or I will go crazy! very unusual for me. I need some kind of physical pleasure to help balance out all the daily fears and horrors. maybe i am getting FTD!! My female caregiver is an expert masseuse and i get a massage every day. That only makes things somewhat worse.

I am contemplating taking the high risk of asking my handsome, attentive male caregiver to help me out, but this is illegal and he also may quit! or it could destroy our working relationship, and i need his help to fix up my house to stay safe.

I thought about sex toys but my hands r too weak to hold them! Where i live it is simply impossible to consider finding a suitable male prostitute.

Any ideas!?

Betsy

Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Bridgetown
State: Western Australia
Diagnosed: 10/2014
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Gembead is on a very distinguished road
City: Bridgetown
State: Western Australia
Diagnosed: 10/2014
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Gembead is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: sex and ALS - limb onset

Good on you for being brave enough to voice this problem, havnt any advice sorry.
Luv Gem
Thanks from
BetsyB (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:42 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant future

Is it possible to have a candid discussion with your caregiver? Perhaps she can suggest something.
Thanks from
BetsyB (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:47 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of

I would have a frank discussion with your caregiver. Certainly this is very common in people with disabilities. Google "sex toys for disabled" and you will find a site that offers a "no hands."
Thanks from
BetsyB (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:53 AM #5 (permalink)

City: PLEASE DELETE
State: MY ACCOUNT
Diagnosed: 03/2007
Ells is on a very distinguished road
City: PLEASE DELETE
State: MY ACCOUNT
Diagnosed: 03/2007
Ells is on a very distinguished road

Please don't put your male Caregiver in a difficult position by asking him for sex.

Have you male friends or an old boyfriend who could help out, even with sex toys?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting/needing sex/physical intimacy, at any age. Have you started taking new meds lately? Some have side effect of increasing libido.
Thanks from
BetsyB (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 10:00 AM #6 (permalink)

City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to all
City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to allchally is a name known to all

Go for it girl! Enjoy yourself and don't guilt trip yourself or let anyone else. Love ya chally
Thanks from
BetsyB (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 10:15 AM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Ells. There is nothing wrong with your feelings but don't approach your caregiver for his " services". all kinds of problems could ensue. Here caregivers are licensed. A caregiver would not only lose their job but their license and livelihood in spite of the consensual aspect

Last edited by Nikki J : 06-12-2016 at 12:24 PM
Old 06-12-2016, 12:11 PM #8 (permalink)

City: Dover
State: NJ
Diagnosed: 11/2012
patoyeah is on a very distinguished roadpatoyeah is on a very distinguished road
patoyeah is on a very distinguished roadpatoyeah is on a very distinguished road

i agree with Nikki and Ells, because u do not want to lose good help, for that reason i would not complicate that relationship.

possibly u could ask him if he knows somebody else that could help, i would be clear that u r not asking him... maybe it would be safer to ask the female help, if they know of anybody that could help.

i think this is a common issue for elderly, and disabled.

enjoy,

pat
Old 06-12-2016, 12:16 PM #9 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
GregK has disabled reputation
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
GregK has disabled reputation

Is there an 'iffy' massage parlor nearby?
Old 06-12-2016, 12:31 PM #10 (permalink)

City: Lancaster
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2014
tripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to behold
City: Lancaster
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2014
tripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to behold

I have also noticed an increased "drive" since this nightmare. I have speculated that it is more emotional and about feeling capable then it is an actual physical need, because frankly between cramps, fatigue, and breathing it is uncomfortable and difficult. I need to be able to please my wife and feel normal for myself. This disease takes so much away that I want to hold on to what ever I can.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:51 PM #11 (permalink)

Thanks all for your helpful comments.
Glad especially to hear about the "no hands" sex toys but my teenage sons generally go pick up stuff at the post office for me. They usually open whatever package! I can picture their keen curiosity if i tell them not to open something.
As for an iffy massage parlor--not likely around here. there may be prostitutes but almost surely all female.
My female caregiver is illegal and from Sri Lanka. Her visa expired when her official job ended when the woman she cared for previously died.
Language and culture gaps prevent a candid discussion. She showers me and massages me every day. I am a little concerned that if I tell her that I need sex, she will offer it because who knows, maybe that is a normal part of massage in Sri Lanka, and I am not keen on going in that direction.

My male caregiver is a friend, a fellow American immigrant who I hired off the books when he needed a job. He has no license. I can probably ask him to introduce me to somebody who could help.

Tripete, maybe this is emotional for me too, but so what. Also, as every other physical pleasure fades away, i think that it is rather splendid that this one is still at least somewhat operational...

Betsy
Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM #12 (permalink)

i have not looked at the hands free toys, hard for me to imagine them working... maybe it could be delivered to one of your care givers? so your kids do not find it... if it has infra red control, it could be controlled with an eye tracking device.

afternoon delight,

pat
Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 PM #13 (permalink)

City: Greenville
State: SC
Lixen is on a very distinguished roadLixen is on a very distinguished road
City: Greenville
State: SC
Lixen is on a very distinguished roadLixen is on a very distinguished road

For anyone experiencing an increase in sexual arousal, make sure your urges aren't related a newly prescribed antidepressant. There's no harm as long as it doesn't interfere with your daily life and personal relationships.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 PM #14 (permalink)

City: taylorsvill
State: utah
Diagnosed: 01/2014
bigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of light
City: taylorsvill
State: utah
Diagnosed: 01/2014
bigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of lightbigmark1954 is a glorious beacon of light

When I started taking Wellbutrin, I noticed that I would get "wood" more frequently. My dreams became more sensual. One night I made love to Farrah Faucett and Sophia Loren in the same night.

Like Pete said, with all the cramping, fatigue, breathing issues and weakness, it really sucks to not be able to be more sexual. It just seems to be another thing to feel bad and inadequate about.

To answer the question by Betsy, perhaps you should explore some senior dating on- line sites. Just be honest and tell them they don't have to take you to dinner and a movie to score.
Attached Thumbnails
sex and ALS - limb onset-th.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigmark1954 For This Useful Post:
Buckhorn (06-13-2016), Kelster (06-28-2016), scaredwifetx (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 PM #15 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Dallas
State: tx
Diagnosed: 07/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
scaredwifetx has disabled reputation
Very Helpful Member

City: Dallas
State: tx
Diagnosed: 07/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
scaredwifetx has disabled reputation

Great response Bigmark
Closed Thread

Tags
age, als, balance, caregiver, female, ftd, ideas, kids, life, onset, pain, risk, walker