Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
California
City
Long Beach
I am looking for help with contacts at AETNA. If anyone has a contact at AETNA please post it up or PM me the info?

I have been diagnosed with ALS for a year, confirmed last May 2015.

I worked through the end of the year, and filed for Disability Insurance with my Last Working Day on January 15, 2016.

SSDI is approved and I am in the five month waiting period. The State DI is still unconfirmed. My greatest concern is the private Disability Insurance I purchased through work with AETNA, that is essentially worthless.

AETNA approved, and then cancelled by short term disability claim (and now want me to pay them back). They also approved my long term disability claim, but are paying out zero benefit with the predetermined offsets from the Federal SSDI and State DI benefits that I am not receiving. The situation is complicated, and I spent the last two weeks with AETNA claim Supervisors being busy, leaving work early and listing excuses in my file to justify failing to call me back (generally poor service).

If no help is forthcoming, just take my opinion to not trust AETNA with being attentive to the disabled who purchase AETNA disability insurance policies.

Again, if you have a good AETNA contact please let me know?

I had a lot of trouble with Unum long-term disability. It's really my employer's fault for buying that policy for us and talking it up that it'll pay 60% of our contract rate. First, it took them 5 months to approve it. Then, of course, they offset it by my salary (company let me use up my six months of sick leave and that is considered short-term disability.) I did find a clause that they couldn't reduce it below 10% of the 60%, so that left me with $350 a month. Now I'm out of work and my SSDI is around $2,300, so they reduced it by that and any amount of my pension OR amounts I COULD be entitled to for my pension if I hadn't elected to take the lump sum and keep it tax sheltered until I need it. It's a total mess. They told me they had the right to demand repayment if I did not invest my lump sum within 60 days and the State of Florida won't even release it for four months.

I don't think Aetna is the only terrible long-term disability insurance out there. I read the entire contract (200 pages) looking for any loopholes and it's air tight.

I do wish I had taken out supplemental disability insurance when I was in my 20s but I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back