05/2016
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Baltimore
Hey,
As I wrote in the "New diagnosis" forum, my father was diagnosed a little over a week ago. Now, I have a question which is a bit crazy, but was wondering if someone could answer for me...

Ever since my father's diagnosis I have been feeling like I have similar symptoms. I understand it is more then likely in my head, but I can't seem to shake it. For a little insight, I am a veteran (Army Infantry) and have PTSD so I understand I am susceptible to stress/anxiety. I was wondering if anyone else felt like they mimicked symptoms after a loved ones diagnosis?
Thanks!

-Pat

Hi sorry about your dad. What you are experiencing is incredibly common for a PALS' loved ones. If you have pre- existing PTSD it might be even worse for you. Do you see anyone for that?

I do, but I haven't been going very often as I have been busy between my dad, and my wife just having a baby/being pregnant (baby born 5/20!!!). I'm also SUPPOSED to take meds, but I don't. I was thinking about getting back on them.

Yes, my friend developed "symptoms" ranging from difficulty walking to strange feelings in her muscles. She was dx with fibromyalgia. I stopped telling her anything about the disease.

PK I really hope you do get back on your meds. My husband also served in the Army, went to Iraq a couple of times and came home with PTSD among other things. Life with PTSD is hard enough but throw in the stress of a terminally ill parent and a new baby and it can break you. Be strong enough to recognize when you need the help of the meds, its not a weakness, knowing when you need help is a strength and a way not only to take care of yourself but to take care of those around you as well.

Pat- I can honestly say I have issues with symptoms. Some of them were based on anxiety and some of them based on not taking care of myself. I have fell twice, have had tremors, memory problems, back and leg problems. I am on Zoloft and am starting to feel less stressed but I also run myself to death so I have no down time to think. We are all victims and watching, dealing and loving our PALS is a sickness for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back