Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
PA
City
Wilkes Barre
Hi Green Queen et al.....I have AFOs and have only been able to wear sneakers as I have yet to find other shoes that can accommodate them. Any suggestions as I am going to a wedding? Also, I am new here and don't know how to initiate a post. Can someone help? Thanks

Shoes that work with an afo are a major problem. I have yet to find any that are not ugly. I do have a pair of propet brand that I have for occasions where the sneakers are impossible. You can buy propet online if you can't find them locally

I wear Drew Mary Janes which stretch and Orthofeet. They work well with my AFO.

It is possible to have the AFO trimmed to fit a different shoe. THe big issue tends to be finding a shoe with the right heel height. If the brace is set up for a running shoe, you pretty much have to stick to something pretty flat. Anything higher than 1/2" will tend to pitch you forward. Work with your Orthotist to find solutions.
VIncent

My first symptom was drop foot so I had the joy of wearing an AFO for about a year prior to landing in my new normal, a wheelchair. I spent that year trying to find shoes which accommodated a bulky AFO then a lighter weight Ossur AFO Light which was much easier to fit into shoes. Still, I ended up buying 2 pairs of shoes; one size 8 and another size 9 1/2. I was able to find dressy flats for a big class reunion and work boots for the ranch when I bought the differing sizes. It costs double your average shoe price but, being well and comfortably dressed when you have ALS and you want to feel normal is "priceless".

The best advice I have, should you need differing shoe sizes is to try Nordstroms. They will sell you two differing size shoes, which are a size and a half difference, for the price of one. I've also found other small retailers who gave significant price breaks on the second pair of shoes when they learned of my shoe sizing problem.

Hope that helps. Lara

Oh wow! I think I'm probably famous because of my pretty shoe whinging!
I'm still after pretty shoes...as Nikki says they are very hard to find when you need to fit an AFO into one.

I actually wear two different size shoes. My normal 43 on my good leg and a 45 on my bad leg to accommodate the AFO. Middle of June I'm getting a new AFO and they are going to make an insert for the other foot, so I only have to buy one pair of shoes. Unfortunately I highly doubt there will be pretty shoes in my future.

As for the wedding, it's a hard one. I reckon there are two main options:

1. Cover your feet with pants or a long skirt/dress.
2. Go loud and proud. Wear the AFO and blah shoes in all their glory. Whether we like it or not, the AFO is part of us, part of what makes us who we are.

The other options are far less appealing.
Wear pretty shoes and sit in a wheelchair all night, or stay home.

I'd go with option one or two. Probably two.
You were invited to the wedding because you are special to the bride and groom. They love you for YOU, and won't be worried if you aren't wearing your loubittons. Or Gucci or whatever brand is in...you know?

You go and shine at the wedding, for the beautiful person you are...

If you can't find a nice pair of shoes what about 'bedazzling' a cheaper pair of sneaks? Have some fun with rhinestones, glitter, etc. and make your own :)

Oh my goodness...thank you all for your suggestions and words of wisdom...I also thought of having my husband push me in a wheelchair and wearing nice shoes but my balance is horrific w/o my AFOs so going to the bathroom would not be an option :). I went to a shoe store today that accommodates persons w/foot problems, etc and they found me a black sparkly pair to wear w/my orthotics and I will wear a long black skirt. They were on the expensive side but my husband says "Happy wife, happy life"! Thanks again...what a wonderful group of people you are!

So happy that you found a sparkly pair ;)

I'm glad you found a pair that suited your needs AND wants! They may be expensive, but I am sure you'll make good use of them. And confidence is so important too!

Your mention of the wheelchair reminds me of another blog where the woman celebrated her transition to a wheelchair by wearing the most amazing and outrageous high heeled shoes whenever she wanted. As a person who was never able to wear high heels gracefully at the best of times, this seems like such a sensible thing to do once no longer having to actually walk in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back