Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
What kind of systems do you find helpful for record keeping? Do you have an accordian folder that you carry with you? File cabinet at home? I just know a bunch of paperwork is going to be thrown our way and my OCD brain is in over drive

I use binders.

1) One for doctor's reports, with tabs for each doctor and a calendar at the front recording who I went to and when (I also put a summary of what was said at each visit and any questions I need answered

2) One for stuff from the ALS society- info sheets, lists of resources, etc

3) One for receipts- all costs pertaining to whatever it is I have

4) One with important documents such as the (as yet uncompleted) health directives, PoA, etc, etc, and will add other official and legal stuff as time goes by

5) plus a smaller one with the most recent imaging copies and anything I think would be needed for seeing a new doctor, just in case

I'm sure my collection will move into a file cabinet at some point should it get really cumbersome.

I scan everything into the computer and organize it. When I need a copy of a document, I can e-mail it, print it out, or fax it. Originals are kept in a file cabinet.

If I go to a new doctor, I print out copies of tests, etc. on a cheap laser printer. Then I don't have to remember to ask for the copy back.

Additionally, carry a one-page medical summary with you, keep a copy in any vehicle you (PALS) or s/he (CALS) might travel in, put one on the frig, leave it at visits. Rule of thumb is do not expect anyone to know anything and they are less likely to read past one pg of bullet points.

Scanned docs are good; easier to concatenate PDFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back