Old 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM #1 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Cleveland
State: Oklahoma
Diagnosed: 10/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
soonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member
soonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Limb involvement

My PALS has Bulbar Onset ALS, his legs have been affected for a while now. Today he says he can't feel the finger tips on his right hand. It feels like they are partially asleep. Is this the beginning of his hands being affected?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Limb involvement

There shouldn't be numbness.

However, if his shoulders are wasting, he may be getting some numbness because there is pressure on sensory nerves? Usually as this happens there is more pain than numbness.

Is there any atrophy showing in shoulders, arms or hands? Any decrease in what he can do with them?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 PM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

He hasn't noticed any loss of strength at all in this shoulders or arms.

When they did the EMG last October, the Neurologist mentioned that something could be going on in his elbows and maybe his thumbs but made mention that it could be Carpal Tunnel.

PALS says it is only in his thumb and index finger. He has no loss of use in his hands as of now.

He thinks it is the ALS, I think it could possibly be Carpal Tunnel.

We probably will never know because he immediately said no dr's appointments when he told me.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:29 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Just keep an eye on it then, and if you think anything is too strange, and maybe not ALS you can either bring it up with him or email his doctor maybe?

I would sometimes email concerns ahead to doctors so that they could bring things up and ask questions at the next visit, rather than me bringing up topics my PALS did not want me to raise. That worked well because I was kept out of it as it just seemed like things the doctor would have gone over because we were there
Old 05-11-2016, 11:49 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerwife View Post
My PALS has Bulbar Onset ALS, his legs have been affected for a while now. Today he says he can't feel the finger tips on his right hand. It feels like they are partially asleep. Is this the beginning of his hands being affected?
No. That's something else. Could be CTS.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Thanks guys! I truly think it is CPS. I will email the dr and see what they think. You guys are awesome!
Closed Thread

Tags
bulbar, bulbar onset, finger, onset