Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
My mom FINALLY accepted her first assistive (?) device. A shower chair, she said it is the type that is part in and part out of the tub so she can sit on it and swivel in. The only issue is that she can't figure out how to keep the water from splashing out of the bath tub because even when the shower curtain is around it there is still a gap because it is partially out of the tub. Ideas?

is she using a hand held shower head?

showers r cool,

pat

no, I don't think so, its difficult for her to use her hands so she wouldn't be able to hold one.

They make a shower curtain with cut out for the chair legs. They have magnets that attach to the tub on the inside. I can tell you though from experience that I had just as much water on the floor using that shower curtain as I did using a regular one.

I never really understood how people deal with transfer benches (what that device is called). But Pat is right, the best bet to avoid flooding is a handheld shower head, though that requires strength and dexterity in solo use and of course is a shower, not a bath.

Depending on the configuration of her bathroom(s), (is this tub the only option?), you might consider a tub lift (manual or power) and/ or start considering roll-in options if she has a stall.

Best,
Laurie

I would get myself into the shower and then pull the curtain closed and tuck the part going over the
Chair under my bum. Then make sure to lift the curtain up before opening so any water caught in the folds would run into the tub.

Darcey and I dealt with this issue while we still thought she was battling CIDP and would get better. It was a time when transfers into the tub were becoming difficult for her to do (even with my help). We used a sliding seat that began outside the tub and ended inside. To remedy the issue with water, I used two shower curtains. Where the two curtains met in the middle, I used velcro to "stick" them together once Darcey was safely in the tub area. It did stop most of the water... but I always put a large towel along the edge of the tub to catch any water that washed over the side.

Honestly, for us, it would have been dangerous to let Darcey try to do any of this alone. She would have fallen without my help... would likely have hurt herself... and would probably have laid there alone for much too long. We had 3 falls... each attended (and not related to bathing)... before we got smart enough to recognize that it wasn't worth the risk. Fortunately, I caught her and eased her to the floor or ground each time. We were so very lucky.

I hope you find the right combinations that work for you and yours. For us, it was a walk-in shower with a rolling and reclining shower chair. Our best wishes go your way...

Jim & Darcey

The problem right now is that mom lives alone so there is no one to help her. At this point she doesn't want to live with anyone....this only adds to my anxiety because if something does happen to her there is no one there to know.

Get her a Freedom Alert pendant or similar device. Or there is also an iOS button and I'm sure Android.

Steve had an alert button that was waterproof thru our security company. It was around the neck on a string and had about a quarter sized button pendant. He chose that over the medic alert he had since it was much smaller and lighter.plus, once you signal for help, they do talk with you

I thought about one of those but I didn't know if she would have trouble pushing the button, I know she could now I'm just unsure for how long she would be able to....

What kind of phone does she have? Siri, for example, can call 911.

She does have an IPhone with siri. I am one of the rare people without a smart phone so I have no idea what their capabilities are, thanks for letting me know. Can she say that and have the phone respond even if it is locked? I know she has to use a fingerprint to get into it

The new iPhones can voice activate without pushing any buttons. You just talk to it "Hey Siri" wakes it up. Hey Siri, call 911 or Hey Siri, call Jenny.

The iPhone needs to be plugged into a power source for 'Hey Siri' to work, that's really important.
You also need to setup 'hey Siri' as she recognises your voice as the owner (otherwise anyone could get into your phone this way).

I think this is important as with voice recognition you would want to be certain that your voice if you are on the floor and injured would be recognised, so would be worth trying out ... :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back