Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
My mom has ALS, newly diagnosed. For the past five years or so she has taken my now 11 year old daughter for one weekend a month. My daughter has always looked forward to it because they have done so many fun things, they visit many places, play just dance on the Wii, bake etc. Well now my mom can't do that with my daughter. At this point she can't walk too well and her left hand is useless and she is left hand dominant. She is also easily fatigued. I'm trying to think what kind of things they can do on their weekend visits. So far I've come up with my daughter painting my moms nails and giving her a facial, movie marathons and board games but I am stuck on what else. Any ideas?

Still baking/ cooking? Your daughter is old enough to do that as your mom talks her through it? Compiling a cookbook of favorite recipes? Something with family pictures/ family story? A lot depends on your daughter. Don't want it to be a chore or depressing. Important for them to make memories.
What is your daughter like? Her interests? Is she a nurturing type naturally? Is she a young 11?

It will be a balancing act- your daughter's needs and your mom's

My daughter is extremely small (she still wears size 8 clothing and toddler shoes!) so she isn't strong enough to do the stirring of dough or putting things in the oven and my mom can't either.

She is a young 11 for sure and is plagued by anxiety as well. She loves crafts and art, movies, and fashion. She is very nurturing and caring.

So maybe making a cookbook, scrapbook or picture album would work ? She sounds very like my niece who just lost her mom at 13 after almost 5 years ( and her grandmother before that) the manicure sounds good maybe helping your mom organize her make up and jewelry? Drawing pictures?

Is there a way you can take them both for a pedicure? It might feel good to your mom and be fun for your daughter? What if you bought a prepared pizza crust and ingredients for them to make their own pizza? That would be something any 11 year old could handle and be fun, too. I'm so glad your mom and your daughter can be together. It will be a life lesson for your little girl and a blessing for your mom.

My mother struggles with health problems that limit her activities as well. She felt terrible about not providing "entertainment" for my son or making each minute he spent with her some sort of event or filled with activity. He picked up on that anxiety and began to feel the same way when he was with my parents. Until I figured out what was going on, it was a struggle for everyone. It turns out he didn't feel the need for something new, or a particularly special activity each time he saw them. What he was happiest doing, weekend after weekend, was sitting with them, eating popcorn and watching tv (Aaargh!) Whatever was on was fine. He even watched episode after episode of Antiques Roadshow, This Old House and Coronation Street. Imagine a 13 yr old boy enthusiastically discussing the convoluted relationships on The Street on the phone with his grandma to catch up on the episodes he missed during the week so he wouldn't have any questions while they watched the latest episode together on the weekend. He now runs errands for them occasionally as well, as he's now in his later teens.

I'm wondering if a whole weekend at a time might be a bit of trouble while your daughter is young and not as independent. If you are needing the time she spends there for respite for yourself (I know how important that is!), perhaps rearranging it from a whole weekend once a month to a single night's sleepover every other weekend. That way your mum isn't having to fill a whole weekend with activity, but still has time to look forward to with your daughter (and your daughter with her grandma).

With regards to low demand activities- scrapbooking is wonderful for little fingers and memories. Puzzles, beading, spending time together on websites such as Pinterest, colouring books... Actually, if you haven't already gone there, Pinterest is a fantastic resource for activities. If you look up "children's crafts" a ton of stuff for all levels comes up.

Fiona

Your daughter could "interview" grandma about her growing up days. What did she do for fun, what were her hobbies, happy and sad childhood memories, etc. Maybe find out about her great grandparents also. Someone probably has old family pictures
She could use to build a photo tree.

The other thing we did was watch a lot of movies. Anything where they are sitting or just together. That is what counts.

Could you be available to help if needed? Say bring your daughter for the day and read on the porch or in another room?

I like the pizza idea,thats awesome!

Right now my mom insists on keeping everything as normal as possible so she wants the whole weekend....I would love to go and help but that makes it less special to them. At this point she hasn't even told my daughter that she has ALS, just that she isn't feeling well.....which is a totally separate post...

I would like to be there to help but it takes away the special feeling to it. My grandmother lives about 5 minutes from my mom, maybe on the weekends that my daughter goes with my mom I will stay at my grams so that way I am available if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back