Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
I am curious about how any PALS were able to walk or speak before surgery but unable to after?

My PALS is going to have to have surgery to put the PEG in sometime in the future.

Right now he has a hard time walking but still is without assistance. He also has a really hard time speaking but I can usually make out what he is saying.

I know that the PEG is needed but hate the thought that he possibly could lose his ability to walk or speak sooner due to the process of surgery?

I would like to hear everyone else's experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Never heard that one.

I've had two full anesthesia operations. One on my knee and one for the peg.

Neither seemed to impact my walking or talking.

Didnt impact steve either

SW, if you read up on the threads you'll see that PEG insertion for most PALS should not be "surgery" with general anesthesia but rather done in radiology, under sedation, not knockout drugs. Nonetheless, some people here have been worse off after and there are reasons for that. Creating an opening in the stomach and any hospital stay (try to go home soon as it's safe, which can be negotiable) is stressful for the body. So leading up to any invasive procedure, PALS should focus on rest, calm, nutrition, hydration, and make sure they have their BiPAP during the procedure, if applicable.

My Chris delayed the peg far too long.
He was walking unaided, and I could understand his speech before the procedure.
He was emaciated, in starvation mode, and dehydrated by the time he had the peg placed.

No change in his walking or speech resulted from the procedure.

Thanks for your posts. That makes me feel much better. You guys are awesome! Thanks for all you do.

I am curious about how any PALS were able to walk or speak before surgery but unable to after?

My PALS is going to have to have surgery to put the PEG in sometime in the future.

Right now he has a hard time walking but still is without assistance. He also has a really hard time speaking but I can usually make out what he is saying.

I know that the PEG is needed but hate the thought that he possibly could lose his ability to walk or speak sooner due to the process of surgery?

I would like to hear everyone else's experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for posting this question SoonerWife. Tom is getting his PEG Wednesday and I have the same concerns. This makes me feel somewhat better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back