Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
AUS
State
qld
City
South Burnett
Sorry to ask, MND qld came out and want me to get eye gaze now (it's free via them) so I can learn in time due to my speech & difficulties now using the iPad.

I'm stuck in indecision city ! I prefer my iPad . I have searched threads and apple about the switches, but they were too technical or didn't answer my questions.

So if it's ok I have some questions for ppl with experience

Is the eye gaze faster than the switches ?
What's the advantage of multiple switches?
Do you find the switches and iPad can be used easily in the wheelchair ?
Can you slow the speed of scanning as my movements are slow?
Lastly can I access safari, email, Facebook , messenger and speak it or verbally apps?

Sorry a lot of questions and hope they don't seem silly

Unfortunately mum is part deaf & even finds text to speech difficult to hear even with hearing aids . I know with the iPad I can attach the blue tooth speaker , but I'm not sure how the eye gaze works

I don't know what eye gaze they wish to supply me either so unfortunately I can't ask about its capabilities

Apple did say that not all apps are accessible via switch . Any input would be much appreciated

Kylie

Firstly I think it's fantastic that MNDQ have eye gaze as they have been so underfunded a long time, but I think the merger now with MND&ME has been completed so it may be a huge boost for QLD.

I've never seen eye gaze personally.

But we had iPad and switch. MND NSW loaned us the jelly bean and interface.

Yes, there are a lot of settings which are all part of the IOS once you connect the switch.
This includes the speed of scanning, and number of repeats and lots of behaviours.
It did take me a while to fiddle enough with all the settings to get it right over a few sessions.

We only had one switch.

As for setting up in the wheelchair, I'm sure it can be done easily.
Chris could barely move his arms, and could only really move his wrist a little which was enough to tap the switch with the side of his hand.

I would set him up comfortably in his recliner chair, and I have an apple tv, so would display his iPad on the big tv screen, and it is plugged into the amplifier and speakers.
This way he could play his own music through the stereo from his iPad.
He mostly used safari or fb.

The IOS on the iPad links into the switch.
It works really well with native apps.
But third party apps can have their own idiosyncrasies that could make it not work quite so well. Sometimes you just have to really sit and play for some time to work a few things out.
But because the IOS is running the switch, any app automatically is too.

If Chris's hand had gone completely he would have had to learn to use his foot or knee.

I would suggest you ask if they have switches, and if you can be shown both and can have a trial of both so you can choose what suits you best.

I can only answer some of your Qs, as I use eye gaze w/ a Windows tablet and don’t know if the hardware or software I use is iOS/OSX compatible (Tobii EyeX hardware + various free open source software) I have complete access and even do the weekly grocery shopping online (what joy – not!!)

In my experience; Yes, eye gaze is faster than switches. Yes, scanning speed can be adjusted, or use dwell instead.
I’d also recommend trying out both systems and seeing what you prefer.

Good luck, there IS a system out there to suit your needs!

Figuring out the best technology has been frustrating for me. For now I have settled with an iPad mounted to the wheelchair and I use a head stylus to use the touchscreen. Then I am able to use speech to text to email , Text message, and use any other application normally.

I tried various switches attached to the iPad and they did work, but I was frustrated by all the clicking required. It may have ordered better if I had been able to use my head to do the clicking I think I gaze would have been better for me since my eyes are faster than the remaining body parts that work.

Also tried Idevice which attaches to the electronics of my wheelchair, and through Bluetooth will control my iPad. It turns the joystick into a mouse. This also required a lot of clicking which was frustrating fo me so I went back to the low-tech had stylus.

The Toby I gaze has been denied by Medicare for me twice now, but I think it may be a better option soon. I demoed it and it works well , But much slower than what I'm currently doing, but with patients I was able to do Facebook email web searching etc.

Also I've tried Dragon NaturallySpeaking with my PC, and may go back to that. I was also frustrated with how slow that system worked, but I just haven't come up with a great solution.

The final thing I've tried is Pceyego which is also made by Tobii, which can be attached to a regular PC, unfortunately not an iPad, but with it I think I can still use the speech to text apps on the PC. I do not believe The full I gaze system allows you to use apps that are speech to text. I may be wrong about that though.

Would love to hear from others who are happy with the technology they are using.

Thanks for the input

Tillie , funnily enough MND QLD don't supply switches just eye gaze. The mass funding through the government takes months so I'll just buy my own. If I don't like it I can give it to someone here perhaps . I hate the thought of taking the eye gaze off someone if I can get away with a switch as well.

I'll admit I'm a bit nervous at the prospect of learning new technology. I just need to suck it up give them the go and face either way it's going to be frustrating and challenging for a while

Azgirl , sounds like you've been put through the wringer to find a communication device so I'm happy you've found one that works for you :) and hope they approve the eye gaze for you soon. Can I ask how you mounted the iPad to the wheelchair?

Twitchy don't try to learn it all at once.

Just do a bit every day and be happy with doing something basic over and over for a few days, then add a bit more. It may even be quite tiring, so stick at it for shorter times more often and you will remember way more must faster.

Twitchy. Tilłie is right, try to learn one small thing at a time, practice that and then add a new thing. I was a computer science teacher, so I've been willing to try all that is available. Numotion ordered the bracket bracket that attaches to my Permobil 300 wheelchair. It makes it much easier for me to read books or use my iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back