Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Met someone at local meeting. Needs second opinion. Medicare w/ good supplement. He lives here part of the year and up North the other part of the year.

He wants the BEST second opinion and one that is most thorough. He has multiple health issues.

I gave him this web site but he hasn't posted. I told him I would post.

Thanks.

I think they are both really good places. My sister had an opinion from Hopkins. She went on to Mass General for another opinion but not because Hopkins was bad but it was her first neuromuscular opinion ( dx was by a more general neuro). Dr Bedlack at Duke has a stellar reputation too.
I gather this person in not really coming North? Only north in relation to Florida? Otherwise I would recommend MGH. Patients literally come from all over the world to be seen and some continue to travel back for care

Got my second from Dr. Varma at U of Miami. Highly regarded in the field.

I think they are both really good places. My sister had an opinion from Hopkins. She went on to Mass General for another opinion but not because Hopkins was bad but it was her first neuromuscular opinion ( dx was by a more general neuro). Dr Bedlack at Duke has a stellar reputation too.
I gather this person in not really coming North? Only north in relation to Florida? Otherwise I would recommend MGH. Patients literally come from all over the world to be seen and some continue to travel back for care

Nikki,
He actually goes to Burlington, Vermont (some small place near there) during the Summer. He just thought that Hopkins would be the best.

If he migrates between VT and FL, a 2nd opinion at MGH seems to make as much or more sense as Hopkins. Either has the horsepower to address complex comorbidities. He might reach out to both and see what availability each has given his current scheduling needs. Duke, while a fine institution, isn't in the same league as Hopkins overall, and certainly not in the same ALS league as MGH.

OK, Thanks. Nikki, thanks for the PM.
I'll pass it on :)

There is another option, if in Florida why not go to Mayo Clinic, In Jacksonville. I have seen Dr. Boylan there and he is the top of the top. In my opinion, between Hopkins and Duke, I would rather see Dr. Bedlack at Duke as he is much more progressive than they are at Hopkins, in my opinion.-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back