Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Before Remeron (2003) I NEVER had constipation. Never. I "went" three times a day.

Now, I'm experiencing it. No doubt because of inactivity and taking a small dose of Oxy for pain that just won't leave.

The straining has caused hemorrhoids. I believe the last colonoscopy I had the doctor mentioned that I had them but I never knew it (two years ago).

Now, I'm having to take mega water, miralax, and use a suppository every night. I had no idea how painful these can be.

I'm making an appointment with a gastro. I don't care what the risk is....I need these treated, even if it requires my being knocked out.

Anyone have this "issue"

I have. Not to the same extent, but a combo of medication and inactivity has definitely slowed things down(understatement). So far I've managed with lots of fruit/veg and chia seeds in water, but it's uphill. I say go for it-you need comfort and good gastro health. I hope you get the help you need soon!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but my PALS is having the same issue, but right now is extremely miserable! Hasn't gone in a week. Have tried suppositories, laxatives, miralax, the works. Last two nights he was up every hour. And now he's saying his hemorrhoids are bothering him too. Doc appt on Tuesday, but do we head to ER for this tonight. He is very uncomfortable???

Kim you can get a cream to apply to deaden the pain while you get your bowel regime going properly. They are nasty, I've only had issues when heavily pregnant, but still 30 years later can remember it was awful.

Cody - a week is too long, you should seek help!

Probiotics will help and digestive enzymes. Everything steve drink that I made had fiber in it many meals, desserts, etc had fiber added. I also fixed him x numner of cups of juice, milk, water, lemonade. Each day he had to fimish them. If you have a peg kim, sorry cant remember, you could shoot some prune juice down it with warmish water.

I'd say go to the ER tonight. Having been on dilaudid, I am well aquainted with constipation. He needs an enema soon. The pain and lack of sleep can't be good for him.
Vincent

Probiotics will help and digestive enzymes. Everything steve drink that I made had fiber in it many meals, desserts, etc had fiber added. I also fixed him x numner of cups of juice, milk, water, lemonade. Each day he had to fimish them. If you have a peg kim, sorry cant remember, you could shoot some prune juice down it with warmish water.

Steph,

I'm still eating and drinking lots. I've tried different probiotics and digestive enzymes. I eat no less than 50 grams of fiber a day and drink so much water it's a wonder I don't float away. I cut back on dairy and replaced with a fiber-loaded, all natural soy drink over my oatmeal and banana for breakfast. Prior to this crap, I was speed walking several miles each morning (stopped a year ago) and getting lots of other exercise. I've always had gut issues (GERD and slow transit time). If I didn't have the heart arrhythmia, I'd down some caffeine because I know that can help move things along.

I took a fleet enema last night and followed it up with a Preparation H. Then downed 16 ounces of coconut water for the fluid and potassium.

I even stopped the Oxy for a day but broke down today and took about 4 mg. Honestly, the high felt good and the buzz and lack of pain lasted 4 hours.

My gastro is just down the road. I guess I'll make an appointment and see what he recommends.

I never thought I'd be posting this kind of stuff on a public forum. Honestly, I've lost all shame.

Kim/Cody, Larry only did decaf but coffee still helped him probably due to temperature.

Other standbys included salsa and spinach.

Best,
Laurie

Constipation is not a problem here, but hemroids are. They showed up as soon as we started using the sling. I'm afraid they are going to have to be removed. Argh.

Kim, We used a 10 strain 20bcfu probiotic. Took 2 capsules and the source naturals digestive enzymes. Vitacost brand on the probiotics. Both can be purchased at the vitacost website. Couldnt use a regular probiotic with one or two strains because it was effective. The site has a 15 strain version but the 10 strain worked, and continues to work well for us.

I've been using the NOW brand Probiotic-10 (50 million per 1/2 teaspoon powder) and I had to throw away the digestive enzymes. I'm going to order some new digestive enzymes. I can't take the ones with protein enzymes because of the acid content so I have to settle minus the hci.

Constipation is not a problem here, but hemroids are. They showed up as soon as we started using the sling. I'm afraid they are going to have to be removed. Argh.

That sounds like a big pain in the A$$. :shock:

Mark.....you nailed it.....

Fortunately, my gastro has an opening on Wednesday morning.

UPDATE: My gastro started me on a heaping spoon of psyllium mixed in 8 ounces of water, then followed by another 8 ounces of water, cut the magnesium back to 800 mg a day and scheduled an office procedure rubber band surgery for May 25. The psyllium fiber completely took away my constipation (even though I was eating 50 grams or more of various fiber per day). I've been doing a frozen berry smoothie each day to further increase my fluid, two soy protein shakes with more fiber, and a lot of water. The second day I pooped 5 times and they were all perfect, no diarrhea, no constipation. I've been regular since starting the new protocol.

He thought I was taking too much magnesium which caused water but incomplete evacuation and he was right.

I never thought I'd be this excited about pooping.......now to get rid of those burning roids.

Well done, that's one problem easily solved, any silver lining is worth noting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back