Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
beloit
City
Beloit
I am newly diagnosed with ALS. Still trying to absorb everything. I have been having trouble with vertigo when I move from side to side in bed. Is this part of the disease?

I'm so sorry about your diagnosis, but glad that you've joined this group. It's a great place to ask questions and get information and support.

I've never heard of vertigo being caused by ALS--maybe someone else? What medications are you on? Could one of them be causing the vertigo?

Becky

I had this about a month ago and it was dehydration and sinuses. Upping my fluid intake and nose spray took care of it.

I had this once just like you described, not sure what caused it. Took some meclizine for the symptoms. That was a year ago. Hasn't come back.

My "vestibular difficulties" went back at least 3 to 5 years before any symptoms that led to a diagnosis, or any falls, for that matter. I had enough vertigo immediately after diagnosis (before starting any drugs) to do some research to see if it was a typical symptom of ALS, but mine always occurred when standing or sitting, not lying down. FWIW.

Yes, I've had vestibular symptoms since 2003. I was misdiagnosed with Menieres Disease. I had vestibular studies done which confirmed that I have bilateral issues. University of Florida neurology even did exploratory surgery on my right ear in 2003. I've had many episodes of vertigo and also daily dizziness since 2003. Valium helps as does meclizine.

I fell in 2012 and 2013, before any other symptoms of ALS showed up.

Steve had vertigo badly for about a 3 ko th period 2 yrs before diagnosis. He vomited and couldnt be upright. Laying down made the room off kilter. He was tested for herpes, syphilis, a bunch of other viruses, bacterial i fectioms, etc. The ent didnt know what it was or how to help. He got an anti nausea med and that was it

No problems with ears,sinuses, etc.

Thank you all for your replies! Trying Mucenix for post nasil drip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back