Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
For a long time I have been getting headaches related to Co2 issue, my ALS nurse will have my BiPap setting adjusted when I ask and they go away for a short time only to return in 4-6 weeks as apparently my breathing declines.

I have noticed that when my breathing is labored, and the headaches are there, that my vision is blurry. Does this sound related to the CO2 build up, or is the blurred vision unrelated? Is there a solution or just another "its ALS live with it" :???:?

I will not wear the BiPap more so that is not a solution. I only sleep with it.

I wish I could help you but don't feel knowledgeable enough. I don't know about the blurred vision but I am on oxygen at night and if I wake up with a headache I check my blood pressure. As way up this week. Just a thought.

Sherry

The problem with a PALS is CO2 retention, rather than enough O2. So giving O2 for a PALS won't help, and may harm, tho giving it in with a bipap is not so bad, but it still won't change CO2 retention.

It sure sounds like typical CO2 Pete :(

Pete I would get Laurie on board with each time you feel an adjustment is needed on your bipap. As you noticed though, adjustments need to be made as things change.

I don't know of any solution except more bipap which I know you don't want xx

Sounds like the the choice is more bipap or continue feeling dragged out. The bipap takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to clear the co2. Put on the mask and watch a movie. It's well worth the time. You get a break in the middle of the day, and you can fully function later.
VIncent

Pete, I understand that you think wearing the BiPAP more would prolong your life (which is likely true), but what about the quality of the life that is left?

The vision changes could be related in one of several ways. Do you check your sats with an oximeter during these changes? Anyway, your wife could be watching your data and adjusting your settings more frequently to give you more comfort, if you want that; I'd be happy to help.

Best,
Laurie

I am sorry to hear this and I am struggling with the same issue now. Really, the only solution is to wear the Bipap more, you never want to give a Pal oxygen as it causes even more co2 retention. Do you check your spo2 with pulse oximeter, and if so what is it? I am moving to invasive mechanical ventilation and yes I am scared and nervous, but want to keep living as I am only 31 years old.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I have COPD, hence the nightly oxygen.

Hope you're feeling better Pete.

Sherry

Hi Pete, Steve had the same issue. The only thing for him that helped was wearing the bipap. He got nasal pillows so it was more comfortable during the day.

you never want to give a Pal oxygen as it causes even more co2 retention.

Be careful with your absolutes there, Bob.

I am one of many PALS who receives supplemental oxygen.

Change your 'never' to 'be careful'. The key is adequate air exchange, be it from your diaphragm or a bipap, to purge the CO2.

Peter, I know you put the wellbeing of your wife first. Would she be happier about your breathing issues etc with bipap during the day?

As Neil said, it's good to make you rest, so you are good to go for the rest of the day.

Whatever decision you make, I hope the blurred vision etc improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back