New vehicle seat or other adaptive support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiftKicker

Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hello-
I find myself struggling to support myself whilst in the passenger seat of our truck. If I recline the seat to help support my back, I can't keep my head supported properly, and I seem to fatigue easily when trying keep everything upright. All minor, but contributes to my general fatigue and discomfort- and I LOVE road trips, so I don't want to cut back on this unless I must.

I have done a search here, but didn't see anything mentioned about after market supportive vehicle seats or solutions. Is there anything people have found helpful for either adding to an existing seat or installing in replacement of the original vehicle seat? A neck doughnut just doesn't cut it anymore.

My thanks

Fiona

I don't know anything about adaptive stuff, but we used a few pillows to support Chris in the car.

Firstly a lambswool on the seat made a lot of difference for his bony body. A boomerang pillow (you know the big V shaped ones?), and a low profile head pillow, then a pillow across his lap to support his arms.

If there was some kind of adaptive seat I'm sure it would be far better, and simpler!

You could do a neck collar and add a head strap. I would look at elevating your feet if breathing isnt an issue. Could you sit in your power chair in the truck?

Toyota mini vans have a mobility assist seat. It swings out and down in a controlled fashion. May be something to look at.pillows, foam rollers, may help. Not sure how much you can adjust yourself but I would start there.

1) I posted a couple of days ago about a neck support (Suteki) from the back -- not sure if that would work in car
2) Sacro-Ease makes a nice supportive/comfy car seat topper (foam + metal) -- back/pelvis are key
3) Wheelchair users often use chest/shoulder supports that may help (disclaimer: work for a mfr of those)

Best,
Laurie

Thanks all. For some reason, I wasn't really on the ball about what search terms I should have been using whilst g oogling. I kept coming up with child car seats and restraints. Your suggestions have put me on a more productive path.

Fiona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back