Sleep Number bed or other adjustable option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckhorn

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Small town
Hi all. I am considering the purchase of a Sleep Number bed with an adjustable frame. I know there are some other options out there (Beauty Rest makes an adjustable frame and a few other companies). Wondering if anyone has purchased an adjustable frame bed that they are happy with? Anyone purchase one that they wish they hadn't?

I am just in the thinking stage right now. I know that most (if not all?) adjustable frame beds do not raise/lower like a hospital bed. We are not ready for that just yet, and I was thinking of purchasing a Sleep Number bed last year before diagnosis, for the downstairs "guest" bedroom (which will one day become the PALS bedroom).

TY! :)

I heard second-hand that it was a colossal waste of money.

Did you search the forum? This subject comes up from time to time.

I bought the tempurpedic premium with the adjustable base. Love it. As I continued to lose muscle mass in my hips, I bought a 3 inch gel topper. No more hip pain. For me it works great.

Vince

I bought the tempurpedic premium with the adjustable base. Love it. As I continued to lose muscle mass in my hips, I bought a 3 inch gel topper. No more hip pain. For me it works great.

Vince

I am thinking about a new adjustable bed, it is a major expense. I will look long and hard because I want to get it right.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for your Tempurpedic?

Thanks

This is well past the temperpedic but folks seem to like the Pro-bed.

I love the bad my husband and I purchased before I was diagnosed. It has and adjustable frame and a memory foam comforpedic mattress. The memory foam was kind of hard for me while I can still turn by myself, but now it feels great and very comfortable at night. Without it, I would be needing a hospital bed at this point.

We bought a tempurpedic adjustable king size five yrs ago. It has been great, very comfortable, no skin issues, and I can't move at all now. It was expensive (4k), but with interest free financing it's paid off now. One of the best moves we made.
Tom

We Just got Hospital Bed with a Air Mattress Topper. My Wife is More Comfortable on it and Insurance Paid For it. On The Advice of another Forum Member I put a Small bed next to it for Me. I'm now just inches away from Her. And we Both sleep better.

Good to hear, Danbury.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you all for your comments. (Yes, Mike I did use the search function, but I find it cumbersome - whenever I use it, it will only "hold" one search for me, and then when I hit return, the previouse search is gone, and I have to type the subject in again ......?! Not sure if it is my MAC or something else going on, but it is a real pain! I do remember reading people's previous comments tho .... but thought I would just ask if people were happy with their purchase or not, since these beds do tend to cost about 4K).

As none of us know how each individual person's "journey" with ALS will go, I am not sure how long an adjustable frame bed will be a viable solution for my husband vs. a hospital bed. Dave currently scores a 36 or 37 on my harsh grading scale for the ALS funcitional rating scale (down from a 39 in 12/15).

We do not have unlimited resources, so I want to be smart with our money. However, my husband is (who knows how many) months away from needing a hospital bed, and when that time comes I will do my best to get him one of the adjustable air beds that also slightly rotate the patient on a timetable.

Thank you again to all who have given feedback on this. We went to a Sleep Number store several years ago and checked out the beds and they seemed really comfortable. I think they offer a return/refund within 30 or 60 days..? I plan to go out and view some of the various adjustable bed frames in person one of these days - - just very busy right now!!

Buckhorn, I personally don't understand why you wouldn't get your choice of hospital bed, get whatever reimbursement you can (i.e. send the invoice w/ a doctor's rx to your payor, "prior authed out of network if necessary"), and thereby get the bed you need and spend less.

At root, I guess I don't understand the antipathy toward a hospital bed. You choose the mattress, toppers, brand, length, width, bedding. It's like building a "normal bed," with the exception that the bed/feet/head each adjust independently in height. In our case, we also had tilt in both directions. The bed we chose was 36x84 for Larry's height.

We didn't have a headboard or footboard. You couldn't tell it was a hospital bed unless you looked at the legs. But because it was a hospital bed, we could care for Larry from all sides, use a lift for transfers, do a pivot turn to get him in a position to transfer in the morning, etc. From his point of view, it was simply more comfortable than a regular bed.

If you get a bed through a DME later because you spent your bed budget on the intermediate bed, you're likely going to get a crappy, short, limited function bed w/ a very basic mattress or fight for more, and then have no money to tweak it as needed. Why would you go from a Sleep Number bed to that?

Just my two cents (no pun intended).

Best,
Laurie

Hi all. I am considering the purchase of a Sleep Number bed with an adjustable frame. I know there are some other options out there (Beauty Rest makes an adjustable frame and a few other companies). Wondering if anyone has purchased an adjustable frame bed that they are happy with? Anyone purchase one that they wish they hadn't?

I am just in the thinking stage right now. I know that most (if not all?) adjustable frame beds do not raise/lower like a hospital bed. We are not ready for that just yet, and I was thinking of purchasing a Sleep Number bed last year before diagnosis, for the downstairs "guest" bedroom (which will one day become the PALS bedroom).

TY! :)

Hi Buckhorn,

I purchased a TEMPUR-Ergo™ Plus queen size Adjustable Base a year ago. Bought it locally (in Arizona) from Sears and it cost $1400 plus taxes and included delivery and setup. The latter is not minor as the bed is extremely heavy. We use our existing mattress. Pluses:
- The remote is wireless and less cumbersome to use than a wired one.
- It is nice for reading and it helps my breathing by giving my back a little elevation.
- I raise it quite steeply in the morning and it makes it easier to shift to a sitting position to get out of bed.

Negatives:
- Fairly expensive.
- Both sides of the bed tilt together. My wife is not a fan of sleeping on an incline.
- I never use the foot portion.

Would I recommend it? It is a bit of a luxury so depending on your financial situation, things like remodeling to make your house more accessible and a wheelchair ramp van give a lot more bang for the buck.

My two cents.

My wife and I purchased a split King numbers bed with all the bells and whistles. And it was a good selection for us and we used thought out her journey. Hospice, got us a air topper for it towards the end when my PALS started to get a sore at the base of her back bone (right where the bed bent). The sore went away and we had no other problems. With the split king we could separate the bed if we needed to so you could help her from both sides. Now my wife was only 5'3.5" tall and weighed approximately 115lbs. We got the elevation function of the PWC so I could raise her up to bed level and use a transfer board. The thing that she liked about the bed the most was the vibration. It put her to sleep and relaxed her. I most certainly would not recommend this bed for everyone. But as I was her only caregiver and could move her without hurting her or myself, it worked for us. In your evaluation, don't just look at how things are today, as they can change quickly.

I am also looking for more information about a bed. I am currently using a queen size bed that I share with my wife. I use a wedge pillow with two regular pillows on top so that I can put my shoulder in the gap between them. Turning in bed is becoming difficult as my arms as well as my neck muscles are very weak.
From what I hear my best option seems to be a bed that can tilt me sideways during the night so that my wife does not have to get up every two hours to turn me (up until now I have done it myself).
The thing is I now very little about these rotating beds. I would prefer to try it at the store before I buy it, but while for a regular bed that is possible, I don't know if it is for a specialized bed like this.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Alex

. I know my sister was able to try out specialty beds at the National Rehab Hospital. Whether this is available at other rehab hospitals I don't know but might be worth checking with major rehab centers especially those who deal with spinal cord injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back