Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Does anyone have any ideas for good Mother's Day gifts?
My mom has had ALS for a little while now and unfortunately the doctors aren't giving her very long :cry:
she's been recently restricted to a wheel chair, has a feeding tube, and is staying at a nursing home. I'm a little stumped on what to get her for Mother's Day. I was thinking of maybe making something to brighten up her room a little but I just haven't been able to decide on what. If anybody has any ideas or gifts they could suggest, that'd be great. I want to make it a good day for her

I've only been a mother for 14 years. The kids still make me a card or a cake. The only presents have been things they've made at school, which doesn't happen now they are older. I don't mind one bit. I still have all the pasta necklaces and rice painted cards. They are some of my favourite things.
Can you make something for your mum? Paint a frame and put a family picture in it. Brightens her room and she can see those most dear to her daily.
A cake to blend if she has a tube.
Something made with love just for her. It will be cherished in whatever time she has.

Are you able to take her out? If so, taking her to park or somewhere she likes to go. Spending time with her is so much more than any gift you can buy her. Did she like to read or love music? You could by her a book and read it to her or her favorite music and sing with her,
have someone come in and do her hair or manicure, watch her favorite movie together or just do anything together that you both loved to do together. Having another birthday to remember with my daughter is all I could ever wish for.

Absolutely, take her out, and not just for her bday. Why the dire prediction? Is she on BiPAP? If you are worried about the logistics with the wheelchair, get a lively family member or guy friend to help you. As for a gift, get her something that will help her stay connected in the SNF to something fun for her -- if we knew her hobbies, we could make better suggestions.

Thanks for asking!

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back