00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Cobourg
Hi,

It's been reported that since doing some work on the website a couple weeks ago that people are having issues such as:

1. Making a post and then not seeing it appear on the website right away
  2. Refreshing the page makes their post appear
  3. Viewing the forum is leaving people feeling that they sometimes see updated pages, other times they see old pages (without recent posts/updates)

If you're experiencing any of these issues please vote above and then post your woes below.

This issue is definitely not malware or anything to be concerned about beyond the obvious frustration. We had tried to improve page response time by implementing page caching and it didn't work very well. I suspect these issues are the ripple effect of pages still being cached on some people's browsers (or through DNS).

Furthermore, a login-cookie issue occurred requiring everyone to reset/delete their cookies; but given this is a bit tricky for most novice users I've hoped it would clear up on it's own. Some of you may have noticed you had to log back into the site more frequently than you've had to in the past.

Given all of these issues I'm really hoping to find a viable alternative to our current "old" forum software and move towards something better in the not so distant future.

biggest issue today is not having the newest posts display when I open a thread.
<fn><f5> reloads the page with (assumedly) all current posts

Hi David,

Can you explain then what all the ads are that are trying to load as the page flicks until I can stop loading and reload?

Can you explain the tweet link that appears throughout posts but disappears when I reload?

We all know that we have to run adblock software on this site or else we are confronted with ads everywhere, including ads embedded in the text everywhere. To date, my adblock software has blocked 122655 ads on this site.

My concern is for PALS with weak hands and eye gaze, just finding and installing and setting up ad blocking software is huge for them.

The main symptom I notice is that when I view a page all posts for that page are often not present.

I usually click on New Posts, then check to see what threads are interesting. When I click on one of those threads it shows a page with posts, but the number of posts and last poster are inconsistent with the summary shown on the New Posts page.

Refreshing the page with the thread often shows the correct number of posts with the last post being by the author indicated on the News Posts page. Occasionally, that has not worked.

I find the ad blocking software I use to be absolutely essential and very effective. It does block an awful lot of ads for this site.

I really appreciate your efforts in keeping this site running. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Steve

Hi David,
One and three seem to be my issues.
I always log in to the site on my iPad or Android phone and I have no idea how to refresh so number two isn't really applicable.

All the best with finding a solution to the problem.

Unlike beautiful Steve, the only thing I can do to help is mop your brow and pour you coffee!!

I am unable to post and have spent quite a few hours typing up posts and they don't show up.

Scared they are showing up, it just seems like they aren't ...

My posts are not showing up.

When I land on a thread, I have to refresh my browser to see the most recent posts. Didn't used to be this way.

For instance, when I came to this thread, I saw your question, composed my answer, but the system rejected my post, saying "Token expired." So I manually refreshed, and saw at least a half-dozen posts were already in this thread.

Ditto what Mike just said! That is my most frequent issue.

All of the above..

I will read thoroughly later tonight but as an update, for the cache issues, I have an inquiry in with the hosting provider.

For these "page refresh" issues; approximately how long has it been like this for people?

I noticed it the day after the clocks went forward, and just thought it was something to do with that. I noted the "time you last visited" kept telling me the same time, no matter what time I had actually logged on.

Thanks for your hard work, David

I dont have the thanks button anymore. It was there earlier today but now it is gone. The refresh issue is about 2 weeks old for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back