Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
VA
City
Winchester
I had a stomach bug a week ago and went a few days not eating or drinking anything. Now I still do not have much appetite and have to force myself to eat and drink. I used to drink coffee every morning and now do not want it. Same with iced tea and I only can take sips of water. I am very weak due to not eating. I do not like protein drinks. Should I consider a feeding tube soon?

Hi Linda. Welcome. Losing weight is of course very bad as you know. Your situation sounds sort of different than most as you are not reporting swallow issues. Is it just too much effort to eat? Or is it really no appetite , not hungry? What does your doctor say if that is the case? How is your breathing? Generally you want a tube while your breathing is decent, before you start choking or losing weight. The only reason I am not saying go for it is I am wondering if you have a stomach issue that needs fixing. Getting a tube won't fix a digestive issue- but it would save you energy on top of bypassing swallowing issues

Hi & welcome,

Any chance you're now constipated? That can result in a lack of appetite.

Sometimes a PALS will reduce liquid intake because going to the bathroom is so difficult. Not a good idea. You need a good diet and plenty of water.

Hi. I do have some chewing and swallowing issues but truly not hungry and I used to eat like a horse!! I keep biting the inside of my cheek and that makes eating more difficult.

Sometimes a PALS will reduce liquid intake because going to the bathroom is so difficult. Not a good idea. You need a good diet and plenty of water.
Hi Mike. I am bulbar onset so no issues with going to the bathroom. I really feel like I am still dealing with the effects of that stomach bug but do not feel like I can afford to keep losing weight.

Linda,
As a bulbar onset pals, you should discuss with your ALS clinic getting the peg tube soon. The bulbar symptoms will only progress and you don't want to be in a position of trying to gain back weight you've lost instead of just trying to maintain your weight. Believe me, I know. I lost about 15% of my body weight before I got the feeding tube. My surgery didn't go well and I lost another 10% of my body weight during my hospital stay (that is by no means the norm, most peg procedures go off without a hitch).

When I returned home, I had absolutely no appetite. My primary care doctor put me on Megestrol 625mg Suspension. My appetite came back 10 fold. I have been steadily gaining weight back. Unfortunately my drug plan won't cover the drug so I have to shell out $350 per month but it's worth it. You should also consider getting a Vitamix blender and start blending whole foods. It is so much better for you than processed formulas. Right now, I only use my peg tube for liquids and meds. I can't even take a sip of water. However I can still eat puréed foods and I so enjoy it. Plan ahead Linda. Get the things you will need before you need them. We can have long periods of plateaus or have drastic progression over a few weeks. Get what you might need later now.

My best to you,

Vince

Vince is so right. Bulbar onset / involvement makes it more imperative

Welcome Linda, though I'm very sorry you are part of this family.

I'll pile on and say - talk to your doctor and see if you can get the appetite stimulated again and organise the peg while you are at it. Even Vince, who had some issues after the procedure, is saying how important it is.

I think a lot of bulbar onset PALS find their appetite depresses.

Linda,
As a bulbar onset pals, you should discuss with your ALS clinic getting the peg tube soon. The bulbar symptoms will only progress and you don't want to be in a position of trying to gain back weight you've lost instead of just trying to maintain your weight. Believe me, I know. I lost about 15% of my body weight before I got the feeding tube. My surgery didn't go well and I lost another 10% of my body weight during my hospital stay (that is by no means the norm, most peg procedures go off without a hitch).

When I returned home, I had absolutely no appetite. My primary care doctor put me on Megestrol 625mg Suspension. My appetite came back 10 fold. I have been steadily gaining weight back. Unfortunately my drug plan won't cover the drug so I have to shell out $350 per month but it's worth it. You should also consider getting a Vitamix blender and start blending whole foods. It is so much better for you than processed formulas. Right now, I only use my peg tube for liquids and meds. I can't even take a sip of water. However I can still eat puréed foods and I so enjoy it. Plan ahead Linda. Get the things you will need before you need them. We can have long periods of plateaus or have drastic progression over a few weeks. Get what you might need later now.

My best to you,

Vince
Hi Vince. Thanks for the advice. I will speak with my doctor about possibly getting a peg sooner than later. I am lucky because I had a few extra pounds to start with but not as many as I would have because I had dieted and lost 40 before I got diagnosed. My breaking was good at ,u last checkup on Feb 15--95%. And I have been fairly healthy until I got that stomach bug. That really took it out of me.

Hi Vince. Thanks for the advice. I will speak with my doctor about possibly getting a peg sooner than later. I am lucky because I had a few extra pounds to start with but not as many as I would have because I had dieted and lost 40 before I got diagnosed. My breaking was good at ,u last checkup on Feb 15--95%. And I have been fairly healthy until I got that stomach bug. That really took it out of me.
Wow so sorry for the typos. That should have said my breathing was good at 95%. I will try to proofread better before submitting. --Linda

I'm wondering in the meantime while you possibly sort out meds or a peg whether a good probiotic might help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back