Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
CA
State
Nova Scotia
City
halifax
Just a question- diagnosed Aug 26/15 ALS Bulbar inset. BiPAP, speech almost gone, just had 11 days ago the peg tube but complications from what normally is a simple procedure set me back a ways, weakening In upper body and some respiratory problems of course. My left hand has been weaker and one finger curled that I cannot get uncurled for months but since I am right handed, there was some relief that my right hand and all fingers, though weaker, were still workable.

Now my right hand is growing weaker and my index finger shaky and twitching- almost trembling to bend and curl. I know this is common, but in desperation, I still ask if any of you can tell me if there is anything you know of- folklore,medical,natural remedies, that I could try or use to save this finger from curling under or bending.
Without speech, it is my only way left to communicate.

As silly as this question may sound, any response is welcomed.

Susan

You could go to a drug store and get a finger splint for a broken finger. That works for a single finger. For the whole hand you are looking for a Night Splint from your local OT. In a pinch, a popsickle stick and some tape works.
Vincent

Massage of the entire arm and hands, heat and splints.

It won't stop them curling completely, but it will give a lot of relief and keep the muscles and tendons from freezing into position.

You should find posts of mine from quite a while back using the google search bar above by searching on massage - I include video of how I used to do arm/hand massage for Chris for his curling fingers.

Or you can click on my name and visit my home page to see video there too.

I am in a similar situation. I have lost my ability to speak legibly, and my left hand is starting to curl as the muscles atrophy and weaken.

I use range of motion on both hands, and extend my fingers as far as I can and stretching them several times a day. The first thing when I wake up every morning is got thru stretching and finger extensions.

It seems hopeless once you start losing parts of your body, kinda like taking a knife to a gunfight.

The wonderful massage therapist we had showed me how it's actually the muscles inside the lower forearm shortening that causes the fingers to curl, rather than the fingers themselves.

When he showed me how to massage that area before attempting to stretch the fingers out it was amazing the difference it made, both in comfort for Chris during the stretching, and the amount of finger relaxation we could achieve.

Softer than a splint (which is good and bad, depending on your purposes) would be a toe tube such as are at drug stores.

We used a full hand splint. It was lambswool lined, and helped keep the wrist straight as well which helped the fingers because the forearm muscle shortening meant his wrist would drop with the fingers curling in.

Hey Susan, my fingers on both hands are completely curled in so at night I jam a piece of foam like a small swim noodle about 3 in. Long this keeps them opened just a bit then through out the day I am stretching them on the arm rest of my PWC. Many times a day stretching out as fa as they can which is not far but something. I use a big thick stylus jammed between my point finger,thumb,middle finger to use I- pad ,phone, tv controls etc. also forks to eat with. I keep improvising as the nightmare keeps taking what else can we do, but smile at it and dance on. Love ya chally

Thank you, each one. I appreciate your input and will check out each.

"Taking a knife to a gunfight"..... Yeah, I can relate ....perfect analogy for so much with ALS...

Susan

Brad I like the look of the extra wrist and forearm support on that splint!

Yeah, and they have other models as well.

Brad how do you get one. the website didn't have a order feature

Brad how do you get one. the website didn't have a order feature

I'm running that down now. I'm sure there's got to be a medical supply house somewhere that carries them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back