09/2015
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Holly
Hello everyone,
Would like to ask a question about water therapy.

What is good, and what kind of exercises are beneficial?

Thanks

Shawnlee

The main thing is to keep joints moving. You aren't trying to build muscles, but keep up some movement in the whole body while the body is supported.

Some of our PALS have found regular water therapy has made a huge difference to their quality of life.

I'm not sure what you mean by water therapy, but...

Until my fear of falling in the shower room stopped me i was regularly going to the gym to use the pool.

Buoyed by the water i could walk and do various stretching exercises. It was great.

Pushed wrong thing with stylus. Dam ! Well anyway I love water and having been a extreme kayaker and raft guide for 20 yrs the water feels great with little resistance . My water buds are gonna take me down the big rapids whenever it warms backup. Enjoy the h2o.

Thanks everyone.

My husband goes once a week to pt, but after reading about pushing too hard and weight lifting, he has talked to the pt and all they do now is rom.

Some posts on here suggested water therapy so just wanted to know what was beneficial and what is not.

We are new to all this.

Shawnlee

This is what helps me. I have a flotation device around my waist. I go in a pool (it must be over 84 degrees or the water is too cold for me.) The device keeps me upright and I move my arms and legs. I don't use a lot of resistance as I have a torn rotator cuff and neck injury that I don't want to aggravate. I have not done any water therapy since last October and I miss it very much. Last Summer, I went to the Gulf of Mexico (Sarasota) and my friend and I just floated in the 88 degree water for a couple of hours each morning. After that we'd go in the warm pool and even i the hot tub. It helped more than anything. I have a lot of muscle spasms and the warm water helps. These days I've been using a heating pad. God willing, I'll visit the Gulf again in June. The water temperature will be in the mid 80s by then. The YMCA has a pool that is heated but it is around 82. You'd think it wouldn't make a difference but it does.

I just spoke to a physiotherapist at a spasticity clinic and their primary form of therapy takes place in a warm water pool. I haven't been yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I think the form of therapy required really comes down to the needs of the individual- whether passive or active therapy would really depend on what the person is struggling with most. Mine is stiffness/spasticity and edema due to inactivity. Others' might be for fostering strength in remaining muscles, balance, circulation or ROM.

Fiona

Fiona, Let us know how it goes. I'm happy for you that they have a warm water pool and therapy. Being from Canada, your idea of warm and mine might be slightly different.

The problem I have is that I can't wriggle around enough to get into my bathing suit.
Audrey

Hi Shawnlee & Fiona,

I do water therapy – here it’s called hydrotherapy – in a warm pool @35.5C/96F with the PT in the water with me and it’s simply wonderful! Not only is it very relaxing but the ROM achievable is better than land-based physiotherapy.

I started when I had some walking ability and just needed balance support, so could do active movement. Now, it’s all passive movement and manipulation. I wear a neck float and knee floats, whilst the PT works on me. It’s a special facility, with a hoist into the pool and people to dry & dress me. I am very lucky to have access to such a service.

It is immensely beneficial, physically and mentally, and is an important part of my pain management. It contributes positively to my QOL.

It’s the closest thing to a Spa Day for me nowadays – so, Enjoy!

Ells.

Audrey,
Have you thought about getting some men's swimming trunks and wearing a t-shirt?

....I have been spending lots of time at the pool at our local YMCA for the last couple of months and I find it really helps. The great thing about the water is that it's little resistance (...good for us), I don't feel like I have this terrible illness when I'm in the pool due to the buoyancy, and I also use the water jets against my muscles to "massage" them.....the other great thing is the in the water you are using all of your muscles - arms, legs, core, neck.....depending on what you do. Good for mental and physical health both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back