Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
Uk
State
Kent
City
at the back of beyond
Afternoon all, I am inceasingly in pain at the bottom of my rib cage and eating makes it worse and I feel full up so quickly; its not a stomach ache but a real soreness and I feel as if my body is folding in two, does anyone else suffer from this type of pain

Hi Jan,

I don't have personal experience of it - sorry.

It could be a cramp or spasm in your diaphragm or it could be eating related i.e. acid or other stomach related issue. Does it happen any other time?

Mention it to your GP, as remedies are available.

Hope you're doing ok, all things considered...
Ells.

P.S. Jan - are you badly constipated by any chance?

Yes, I've had this type of pain and it gets worse after eating a large meal. If it's on the right side and only after eating, it might be gall bladder or possibly muscle spasms. I have pain in my intercostals (between my ribs) that comes and goes. I had that right side pain a lot two years ago and a digestive enzyme helped. It's so hard to tell whether it is muscle or some internal thing that can be corrected. I would go to my primary care first.

Janbrit,
As those muscles that normally keep the upper torso off the rib cage weaken, the upper half can flop onto the ribs, for sure. I do not remember your mobility level, but whenever you are in a chair of any kind, you might want to look to your positioning, to elongate the upper torso as much as you can (cushioning arms/elbows, for example) and likewise stabilize the legs' distance from the ribs with varying elevation levels throughout the day.

But I also agree that your GP is best equipped to rule out some visceral issue.

Best,
Laurie

Jan, I agree with both Laurie and Kim. As I was told by a doctor the other day "You can experience other health burdens on top of MND. It would be irresponsible (for him) to ignore that and treat your symptoms like they are an extension of your known disease."

I encourage you to see a gp to make sure your abdominal discomfort is not something separate from ALS. It may be something as simple as digestive problems due to inactivity, or something completely unrelated that needs separate treatment.

Best wishes

Fiona

Thank you all for your responses, whilst I am still mobile, able to walk short distances I do find that I slump when seated, I get relief by laying down in my hospital bed so I guess this could be my muscles weakening, I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow so I shall mention it

Hi Ells, not constipated, just 'full' shall wait to see what the GP says tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back